My tree is full of apples. I'm not sure what kind they are because the former owners said it was a volunteer. It just came up! The apples are good baking and eating apples. So I am looking at apple recipes I've copied down over the years and I'm trying some of them.
The first one I tried is called Apple Pie Cake. I think it turned out yummy.
I am not a pie maker. I've never mastered pie crust because I don't really like pie crust. I do like apple pie however. It's one of the few pies I do like. The apple-cinnamony goodness soaks into the crust and makes it edible.
I've only made one apple pie in my whole life however.
This recipe does taste very similar to apple pie but you can whip it up in a few minutes. No pie crust to master! The ingredients are simple and usually on hand. I am sure you can use white flour if you don't have whole wheat. If you want to make it and you live in my neighborhood.... call me. I can spare 1/2 C. I usually have some in my freezer.
Apple Pie Cake
1 egg
3/4 C brown sugar
4-5 apples, peel, core, chop (mine weren't chopped really fine, I'd say roughly chopped)
1/2 C Whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
Beat egg, add sugar and vanilla - Add apples. MIx well. Add flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and mix well.
Pour into a greased pie plate.
Bake 25-30 min. Cool 10 min. slice.
It was a little sticky and didn't come out super clean but clean enough. It's not as pretty as a pie but it tastes very similar.
Let me know if you try it and like it.
3 comments:
Try this:
Amish Apple cake
1 cube of soft butter and 1 cup sugar. Cream for a couple of minutes. Add 1 egg and 1/2 tsp vanilla. Mix. Add 1 cup flour, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg and stir. Fold in 2 1/2 cups chopped and peeled granny smith apple (or off your tree)
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Serve with warm caramel sauce.
Caramel sauce: 1 cube butter, melt. Add 1 cup brown sugar. bring to a boil and boil for a couple of minutes. Pull off heat and add 1/2 cup evaporated milk (can use fat free) and 1 tsp vanilla. Yum!
Great pictures, Jamie! Looks great!
That recipe Jenn sent is REALLY good.
Post a Comment