Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Overshadowed again

Last year Rachel's birthday fell on the day of Samantha's baptism. We tried to make sure she had her own celebration. I made her a giant ipod cake and her Aunt Abby brought her a beautifully decorated mini personal cake that she still talks about and her young women's class brought her ANOTHER cake so she definitely knew she was loved but still.... there was a lot going on and she was a bit overshadowed by other wonderful things happening that day. She never once complained cuz' that's the kind of girl she is. Wonderful!

This year it sort'er happened again. Carly was planning to attend a medical career camp at SUU in Southern Utah June 7-9th. Since Mark and I both needed to work on that Monday we headed down to So. Utah the Friday before to visit with family there who were going to help get Carly to her camp. We planned to arrive Friday and leave Sunday, June 6th to come home, which was Rachel's birthday.

Rachel asked if she could stay with her grandparents while Carly was at her camp. She didn't want to have a party so I was glad there WAS something special she wanted that we could do for her.

We had a wonderful visit over the weekend with lots of family coming to visit. On Saturday, We had a big meal, 21 family members and cupcakes with candles to blow out for Rachel and for Carly who would be turning 16 on the 11th and their Auntie Jennifer who had a bday June 3rd. I made strawberry bottom cheesecake pie which she requested for her bday cake. It was a really nice day. But it wasn't just her day.

On her actual birthday, we got up, packed, went to church and said quick goodbyes to our 2 girls who would be staying behind and rushed home to a meeting Mark had that evening.

Like I said, overshadowed again....

We picked the girls up on Thursday afternoon. The next day was Carly's birthday but I was determined that Thursday would be all about Rachel to compensate for her overshadowed birthday. I had 2 little presents for her to open that I picked up after her bday so she had something to open. Jacob, Mason and Samantha helped me blow up balloons and put up a happy birthday sign. I made lemon muffins which she loves. Mark and I took her out to dinner at In N Out and then I dropped her, along with Carly and Jacob, off at the movie theater to see Percy Jackson since they've all been avid readers of the Percy Jackson book series.

I think she was pleased. She smiled a lot.

I know she would have never said a word about her birthday not being special. She probably wouldn't have even thought anything about it because she is a very unselfish girl. She does nice things for other people and doesn't like a lot of attention and is grateful for what she has but

Just in case...
I wanted her to know
she was worth it.

Her own very special day.
Because I love her
&
She's such a great kid!


(wow. you think I could have cleaned the table off before I took this picture? geez. there's a half-eaten bowl of pasta salad and junk-mail in the shot. )

7 comments:

sachiko said...

i just love rachel. you're right. she's not one to make a fuss. she's thoughtful and selfless. she's eager to please. she's a doer. she's compassionate. she's full of faith and trust. she is one amazing young woman. she is going to move mountains, this one. thanks for sharing her with me, she is such a joy :)

CaradonandtheBoys! said...

You know Rachel has a special place in my heart. I want you and Mark to know though, that I think you are amazing parents are you are raising a fantastic bunch over there!! Every interaction I have with any of your kiddos is pleasant and I just adore them!!

Amanda said...

Happy Birthday, Rachel!! We love you.

Jennifer said...

Happy birthday Rachel, I so enjoyed sharing birthday cupcakes with you and Carly at Grandma's. You are a wonderful young lady and I love you very much.

Christy said...

Rachel is a trooper. I've seen her sick to death on her birthday and not complain. When she felt better, we celebrated. No grumbling at all. Rachel is amazing is so many ways. Musically talented, patient, compassionate, great sense of humor, beautiful inside and out, stylish and I think her best attribute is her ability to know herself. She doesnt' try to be something she's not and is comfortable being Rachel. I love you-you are a special girl!

Judy said...

Rachel, you ARE wonderful. I'm glad you had your own special day because you deserve it. And isn't it a good feeling to know you are so well loved? I hope you enjoyed every single one of those yummy-looking lemon muffins. Hugs to you!

Emily said...

Love you Rachel!