Thursday, December 16, 2010

Observations at Sizzler


Mark had planned to go to the youth activity at the church last night but plans were changed at the last minute so he ended up being unexpectedly free for the evening. With Carly and Rachel running out the door to their Young Women's Christmas party & Jacob off to 11-yr old Scouts we decided to take the little kids out to dinner at Sizzler seeing as we had 2 free Sizzler kid meals.

As usual, it was an adventure.

While in line to place our order, Mark had to do some instructing on proper restaurant etiquette.
"no jumping up and down"
"get up off the floor"
"don't point at other people's dinners"
sheesh! you'd think we never took these children out to dinner. I know it's not very often but really.....

Samantha ordered the children's steak.
Mason considered Pizza but I've tasted the pizza they sometimes put on the salad bar and told him I didn't think their pizza would be very good so he switched to the hamburger, plain- of course. Just the meat and the bun. It was an easy sell once I told him it most likely came with french fries that he could douse in ketchup.

Pretty soon we were seated at the table and the observations began.

Mason:
"This is the best night of my life!!!!"
"I know how they make their lights mom. Do you want to know how they do it mom? They turn on a flashlight and hang it upside down inside of that cover. That's how they do it"

Our drinks came. Mason took a sip of his Sierra Mist.
"ooohh! This is Spriter than normal!!!!"

Our meals came. Mason continued to talk and talk and talk. Mark gave me a desperate "does this kid ever stop talking look" and pointed out sternly that he better start eating, he hadn't even taken a bite of his hamburger. Mason turned his hamburger around so Mark could see the very small single bite taken out of one side of the burger. He shrugged his shoulders and said:
" Sometimes I like to talk more than I want to eat."

Samantha was awfully quiet. Granted she has never been as big a talker as the boy but she usually holds her own pretty good if she thinks she's got a cornered audience. She was REALLY enjoying her steak and fries. MMMM... good! There were a lot of appreciative groans of delight as she chewed and swallowed.

We ended the evening on a high note with a trip to the ice cream bar. Mason and Samantha both chose vanilla- there was some serious discussion weighing the merits of going with the cone or the bowl. Bowls won out. I mean.... where do you pile the toppings if you get a cone ?

They both beamed from the attention and the prestige of doing something utterly fantastic that the older kids were not involved in. They very maturely told me they wouldn't talk about it ALOT at home.

They kept their word. They only talked about it some.....
We got our own jello with whipped cream on it. We got a cookie. I got a steak. I got a hamburger. We both got vanilla ice cream with oreos. Their french fries are really good!

Mason saw the bummed look on Jacob's face and promptly ran to the fridge and pulled out his to-go box, took out his hamburger with the one bite taken out and broke it in half. "You take Half Jacob." Jacob said "No, no, that's ok" Mason insisted. "I want you to have some Jacob. You are my best brother"
Jacob's shrugged and accepted.

He bit, he chewed and swallowed.
"Oh man! It's still warm!"

It was a good night.



6 comments:

Wendy said...

What a GREAT night!! Sizzler rocks!

Two thoughts worth typing:

I totally point to other peoples' dinners.

I hope the kids used the soup bowls for their ice cream, instead of those dinky dessert bowls. There's way more room for toppings AND ice cream in those.

Wendy said...

What a story. So funny! Wish I could have seen that precious brotherly love live.

Julie said...

I love reading your post! You describe everything in such great detail. I wish I could have come, but we were having an amazing time with your 2 amazing daughters. Great Christmas party! That's cool how Mason gave Jacob his hamburger. How sweet. Remind me to tell you about a Sizzler experience we had with my parents a very long time ago and we have not been back. I might gross people out in your comment box. Not a great memory. Loved your post!

Christy said...

It was like being there! Thanks for sharing-everyone needs a little special time, glad they didn't talk about it ALOT...

The Gubler Family said...

Sizzler is my favorite restaurant. I remember taking Chris there for his Geneva Giant award also. He wanted to go with the chicken nuggets or something, but I made him get the steak.(I'ts Sizzler. You have to get the Steak) He LOVED it and talked about it for years until I was able to take the rest of the kids so they could experience the best dinner he had ever had. Very fond memories.

Abby said...

Good ole Sizzler. Just went there for of B of M reading night. I heard a joke on Jimmy Fallon the other night:
"Terrorist have a plot to poison all the salad bars in America, but Sizzler already beat them to it."