As I sat staring at the comment box I intended to comment in, I couldn't think of a thing and it made me cry. Granted, it had been an awful day. One of those grumpy, teary, lethargic days where you can't quite pinpoint the cause of your angst yet you're filled with it nonetheless....
Still- on any day. It can be a hard question. A who am I question. A what am I question- which lately has been a discouraging question.
I got up from the computer and started getting the kids prepped for bed.
Family prayers, Pick up your stuff, brush your teeth......
As I herded and scolded and held and hugged, my mind kept straying to the question that I thought I couldn't answer......
I couldn't think of things. All I could think of was them. What they had made of me. Instead of feelings of discouragement and emptiness I became full of joy and gratitude.

Almost 17 years ago I had my first child. A beautiful, dark-haired baby girl. Serious. Careful. Everything I dreamed of. She created me. Mother. Then 2 years later, another beautiful girl. Blond ringlets this time. Imagination seeping from her pores. She stretched the boundaries of who I was... Mother. The next year brought a difficult loss. For a little while I was a broken Mother. Two years later came a bouncing baby boy. Strong. Fierce. He brought back the joy and through him I began to learn the pain and frustration of Mother. Before him I had only known easy. Now it was hard. But you know... hard brings it's own joy. Then 2 more years. Another girl. Patient and sweet. A Calm amidst the storm. More stretching. You know the pattern now I think. 2 more years and another boy. The smallest. My climber. A giver of love. Snuggly. He made that last stretch so easy. They grew. I fed. I bathed. I taught. I loved.
Then came the time of no babies. I started to feel like a stretched out Mother with no elasticity left. It's hard to regain the shape of who you are when you have mothered so long and with so much of yourself. It's not as if I am done with Mother. I will always be. Yet they need you less in that all-consuming way. They need you more as a listening ear, an understanding heart, a taxi-driver, a compass. There is more time to think about who you are, what else you might be.
This is what makes the answer to the "what makes me me question" so elusive. Some of the things I used to think identified me are lost in the past, yet some remain; talents- overshadowed & dusty, others- vibrant and strong. And there are new ones I am figuring out.
As I type and think I begin to believe that it is pointless to try to regain the shape. The challenge is discovering the new shape, embracing the new shape. Rediscovery. I am deciding as I write that I like this thought so much better. It sounds like an adventure. I don't need Everest. I don't need K2. I will find my own summits.
10 comments:
This is beautiful, Jamie! It's one of my favorite posts you've ever written. You're right--you don't need K2. And you are beautiful in your journey.
Jamie...you are AMAZING...this is a beautiful post, and I am in awe over your skills, openness, honesty, and true mothering skills. I love you and have learned SO much from you...you are a GREAT example...and I would LOVE to be who and what you are when my kids are older and I'm in your shoes. Thank you for your example, advice, listening ear, and love...you truly are an AMAZING mother!!! I love you!!!
I loved that! It is so true that life, children, a family. They all change who we are. Sometimes in that change we feel lost. I think you are simply amazing.
What a beautiful post! I agree with wendy! This is my favorite post of yours! It made me take a step back, and calm myself in knowing I am a mother. I am me! I hope I can become the mother you are! You have always been my beacon, my standard, my example! I miss you friend!
Beautiful Jamie, you are a mother, and a WRITER. I love you so much.
Jamie, that is one of the most beautiful pieces of writing I have ever read. Thank you. I'm grateful you have allowed me to look within myself and try to discover what makes me, me. You are one of the most talented mothers I know, and you are one of my favorite things about being a Lowe, everyone should get to have Jamie for a sister. I love you. You are my friend. You are my sister. You are a mother, and I hope to be half the mother you are, someday.
To paraphrase E. B. W., It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer and a good mother, you Jamie, are all of those. :)
Coming from someone who I see as a wonderful mother, friend, wife... It is hard for me to imagine you ever feeling like you described. Perhaps I am too busy seeing my own insecurities to notice others have them too. Thanks for sharing! You are such an example to me, and I miss you... lots!!
Wow Jamie. That was beautiful and very profound, as are you. I also love what Emily said, quoting Wilbur.
You are so good at putting into words what I have felt for so long. That is one of the reasons why I wanted to go on a trip with Richard for so long, because I felt that my rubber band and been stretched so far that there was no more shape of ME left. I desperately needed to find Me again. But it was nice to come home to 4 beautiful kids again who called me mom.
Post a Comment