Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Samantha's got the fevah'


Samantha's birthday was in mid-May in the middle of the week. It was a crazy day with a baseball game, choir concert, church activities, school and half a dozen other things going on!

A couple weeks earlier, I had a break in my work schedule right near her lunchtime so I checked her out of school to go get her ears pierced at the mall. I had told her she could get it done for her 10th birthday and so I thought she might enjoy the surprise of an unexpected school checkout and trip to the mall in the middle of the day. My little Samantha is one studious girl. She had serious misgivings about leaving school and what she might miss out on. I left it up to her and she finally decided to go ahead and go to the mall making me feel like I should have done it another time.
Oh well.

We had about an hour, which I thought would be plenty of time........

We arrived at the mall, found the jewelry store, picked out the earrings and signed the paperwork. She was nervous and brave and hugged a teddy bear they give kids to hold on to and clutched my hand. They pierced her right ear.



"OWWWWWWWW!!! I did not think it was going to hurt this bad!" she said, blinking back tears.

She wouldn't let the girl pierce her other ear. The shopgirl walked away and I tried to talk her down for about 20 minutes it seemed. Part of it we just sat there staring at the people walking by. We saw some interesting hairdo's....

Finally, I told her "well... I'm sorry that it hurt so much. We need to get back to school so we have to make a decision. We either take this earring out and say goodbye to the $$ that I spent on piercing your ears because it's gone, already paid and that is most of your present this year or you get really brave and pierce your other ear right now!"

She mulled it over for about 3 minutes and decided to go for it.

Phew....

She was very very religious about twisting her earrings and bringing me the cleaning solution and cottonballs morning, after school and at night. Just the other day, we hit the one month mark and decided to try taking out her earrings and putting in something more fun. It was too painful. So, we'll be waiting another couple of weeks.....

Now on to her ACTUAL birthday.

She chose an under the sea cake. We went shopping together and found candy rocks and sea shaped animals.


We had fun decorating it together. It was an easy one to do which suited me just fine this very busy month.

We had a hurried "open your presents, blow out your candles" before everyone went their separate ways that evening. We didn't' even eat cake after she blew out her candles. When we got home from the choir concert I let her have a piece of cake but no one else as I was too tired to deal with the mess. She didn't even get her birthday dinner choice and she was remarkable understanding about her busy birthday.

Friday night we made up for it. She got to invite a few friends over for a "late-night". We rented the movie Tangled. We made lemon poppy-seed muffins. We got out her beads and bracelet making kit. Before her friends came she FINALLY got her birthday dinner: Taco salad.

The girls started out by making bracelets from the kit her grandma had sent her in the mail. She has really sweet friends this year. They are such nice girls, to me and to each other!

They laughed and talked and sang.
Samantha has recently admitted to having the Bieber Fever even though her big sister ridicules him mercilessly.

Rachel bought her 2 Justin Bieber songs on Itunes for her bday and one of her friends brought over a CD to play at the party. She even got a Justin Bieber tshirt as a gift from one of her friends.
After the bracelets there was some dancing....

to JB of course....

They played a candy bar game that got a little out of control....

but all in fun

Nobody ended up crying thank goodness!

and everyone ended up with a candy bar.

There was some Twister


and of course there was the Movie.
Everyone left about 11pm and it was a successful, easy, low pressure party.
I didn't have the time or energy to do much and she didnt' want much.
Just a few friends-
some cake-
Some fun-


Done!

3 comments:

Stephanie Salmon said...

I know everyone doesn't agree with me, but that's why I pierced my baby's ears at 3 months. I will do it for any future girls I might have too. They don't know any better! It's just like getting a shot at the doctor's office. They think their life is over for about 30 seconds and then it's back to normal.

Party of Five said...

I had been thinking 5 yr for Audrey, but maybe we will wait longer. I sure like Samantha, she is a sweet girl! So glad she had a good time!

Roberts Family said...

Always a HUGE relief after throwing a party as you well know with 5 kiddos! Great Job Mom!!