Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Jane Eyre: a movie review. sort of.


Liking the movie is always difficult when you have a favorite book, a beloved book, that you have read over and over and feel a certain ownership of the characters and your particular vision of them.

I feel that way about Jane Eyre. The first time I read it I was in my 20's. I was walking by a huge bin of 50¢ paperbacks in Wal-mart of all places. (Not a literary hotspot, I know!) I sifted through them and didn't find much that looked interesting until I happened upon Jane Eyre. I remembered having seen it in my mom's room once and although I had never heard her talk about it, I decided upon it for that reason alone. Well... the back synopsis did sound a little romantic and mysterious, both favorites of mine.

I had no expectation as I began to read.

I had no idea that it would become my favorite book of all time.

I had no idea how delighted and connected I would feel in the future when I would read my grandmother's writings about dating my grandfather:

"The next night was more than I ever dreamed. Place cards, supper table decorations, dinner served in courses, dance programs, the works. When it was over, Reed took me home to my place where I was staying and working for my room and board, The Tom Kitchen's. At the door he gave me a quick but thorough kiss on the mouth and thanked me for the evening. In true Jane Eyre style, I said "Oh, Mr. Asay," and was really giggling inside, but not so he could hear me. It shocked me that he apologized so much and acted as if I had slapped him, and he didn't try it again for a long time. "


I had no idea it was such a classic and that it had been made into 5 silent films, 3 movies between 1934 and 1970, 3 BBC miniseries between 1963 and 1983 and since I first discovered it in the 90's, it has been made into 3 more films and another miniseries by the BBC.


It gets into people's heads and everyone wants to put their spin on it I suppose. The funny thing is that it has not been modernized successfully like so many Pride & Prejudice spin-offs in film and print. I read one try this summer in a young adult novel which was AWFUL. Rochester was an aging rock star with a psycho wife he didnt' talk about because it was his fault she got hooked on drugs and went nuts.

I'm not articulate enough to explain my views on why it doesn't modernize well in 3 sentences or less so I will save that for another time or a one on one conversation if you're interested.....

I have seen several of the movies and 2 of the miniseries. I have hated all the 2 hr films but I own 2 of the miniseries and like them for different reasons.

This one was originally filmed in 1983 and it's hard to get into at first because it really feels like you are watching a play instead of a movie. I am not sure how to explain it other than that. The sound and structure of the set just isn't as seamless as most movies. But I love the way they tell the story. I feel it is the truest to the book. I like Timothy Dalton's Rochester. I think he captures Rochester well and gives me the brooding and the sensitive sides of the man I feel I know. Don't get me wrong here... Rochester is not one of my romantic ideals. Jane is the one I read the story for. He's great fun to read about but a little too damaged and brooding for my taste. I'll take Mr. Thornton from Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South. Now there's a romantic ideal to sigh about......

*sigh.....*

oh sorry.... I got distracted...

Back to Jane and Rochester

Jane can be difficult to play as she is a very quiet and controlled character but also very passionate, independent and strong. I think both actresses in the miniseries do a pretty good job.

This one was made in 2006 and I have it too. The fun thing about this one is that they take some liberty in exploring what is only inferred in the book. They show us more of how the love grows and develops between Jane and Rochester, yet stay true to the characters for the most part. They do allow a little more physical contact then Jane would have allowed......
Good character portrayals overall. Love the Blanche Ingram in this one.

One of my big issues with this miniseries, however, is that in trying to connect with a "Modern" audience, they remove an essential element that is intrinsic to my love of Jane.

Jane is deeply spiritual. She has such a great belief in her Divine Nature. Although she has been told by many in her young life that she is not worth much, not worthy of love and good things, she does not believe them. She discovers from a kind friend, and then her own study, a loving, kind God who watches out for her and gives counsel to strengthen and protect her. She understands who she is in relation to him and clings to these truths and will not deny them. Jane has incredible faith in God and his laws and that they above all else will make her happy.

One of my favorite quotes:

"I wanted to be weak that I might avoid the awful passage of further suffering I saw laid out for me; and conscience, turned tyrant, held passion by the throat"

"Who in the world cares for you? or who will be injured by what you do?"

" I care for myself. The more solitary, the more friendless, the more unsustained I am, the more I will keep the law given by God; sanctioned by man. I will hold to the principles received by me when I was sane, and not mad--as I am now. Laws and principles are not for the times when there is no temptation: they are for such moments as this, when body and soul rise in mutiny against their rigour; stringent are they; inviolate they shall be. If at my individual convenience I might break them, what would be their worth? They have a worth--so I have always believed; and if I cannot believe it now, it is because I am insane--quite insane: with my veins running fire, and my heart is beating faster than I can count its throbs. Preconceived opinions, foregone determinations, are all I have at this hour to stand by: there I plant my foot"

And in the end, it is her adherence to God's laws and continued faith combined with Mr. Rochester's eventual learning of humility and submission in crying out to God for help in his trials that result in the miracle which brings them back together equal and unfettered.

This is the newest film. 2011.
I finally saw it this weekend.
I was intrigued by the trailers but didn't have high hopes as all other 2 hr versions have left me cold.

This is what I found....

It doesn't try to shove the story at you like most 2 hr versions do. It doesn't even seem to care if you understand it all. They know they don't have much time and seem to flaunt that knowledge with lots of quiet screen time but Jane is Jane; quiet and determined. Edward is Edward; bitter and intriguing.

All I could think when the screen went blank was that it was a poem.

A poem for Jane Eyre lovers.
Beautiful imagery.
Beautiful music.
Beautiful Dialogue.
Beautiful moments.


Sometimes abrupt.
Sometimes leaving you wanting more but giving you enough to imagine.

They don't eradicate the spiritual part as other versions have done. They don't give it alot of exploration either-
but it's there in a couple of beautiful moments.


I watched it twice in 2 days. I liked it even better the 2nd time.

I love it.

9 comments:

Judy said...

I didn't know "Jane Eyre" was your favorite book. Cool. "Rebecca" by Daphne DuMaurier is one of my favorites. I read "Jane Eyre" when I was 12 years old, and even tho I can't remember the story (I rarely read a book multiple times) I STILL remember the feelings I had reading that book. You're right: it gets into your head. Funny - I was actually thinking about buying a copy the other day and re-reading it. Your comments make me want to do that even more! Maybe I'll even see the movie ...

Jamie said...

I read "Rebecca" because of you and even saw the one of the movies. (I can't remember if there is more than one...)

Wendy said...

I'm getting online to order North and South and the Masterpiece Theatre version from the library right now.

I'm already dying to see them...again.

Happy Be-lated birthday! I know that is lame to say as a comment to your blog...but I really mean it:)

Emily said...

Love. Love Jane, love this post, love you!

& I am very interested in your views on why it doesn't modernize well, so let's definitely have that one on one conversation sometime!

Jennifer said...

I loved that book so much. I need to read it again. I had to read it for a college class and am so thankful I did. It is a classic for a reason.

Christy said...

I tried to read Jane Eyre once at the cabin and I JUST DON'T GET IT!

The Gubler Family said...

I am so surprised that you like Jane Eyre over North and South. I definitely loved your getting distracted pictures of Mr. Thornton. I am so glad you posted this because I know I have seen Jane Eyre before but can not remember it. I was just looking on line the other day to find it and could not decide which version to watch. Next time I have that dilemma I will know who to call!

sachiko said...

REALLY?! I didn't like the new Jane Eyre. In fact, it felt me so wanting, I had to watch the '06 version. Personal preference. I think I love the '06 because the music threaded throughout really ties in all of the subtle hints to Bertha and all of the other secrets. I also LOVED the casting they did in that one. Rochester is cold and harsh but also warms up over time and is quite handsome. Jane is not a beauty but there are scenes where she really is quite breathtaking. The second half is slow though. I guess my biggest qualm with the new Jane Eyre is that I feel like it was made for Jane Eyre lovers and if you weren't familiar with the story, you'd be totally lost. Plus, after going on benders of 4 hr. long movies, 90 minutes just isn't enough to get lost in Rochester's eyes--well, and let's be honest, 4 hrs isn't enough Mr. Thornton for me! haa, haa

Jamie said...

Sachi: I have heard from a lot of people that didn't really like the new Jane Eyre. I agree that it's totally for Jane eyre lovers and you HAVE to know the story to get it at all. THe ending at first was quite abrupt for me but 2nd time around, I loved it. Carly and I just sat there and said "It's perfect!" I REALLY like the character portrayals of both Jane and Rochester in this one. Rochester is a little more cruel which shocked me at first but it worked for me.

I'm with you on Thornton. 4 hours is not enough. sigh