Turning 12 is a big deal when you're a member of the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. It signifies the end of childhood. You're now with the big kids in Sunday school and youth organizations. If you're a boy, and worthy, you have the opportunity to be ordained a Deacon in the Aaronic priesthood and take on the responsibilities that come with that position.
When Jacob first turned 12 back in August I started to tease him a little when he was acting obnoxious or annoying by saying "Come on Jake... Don't be a deacon!"
My point was this...
If you've worked with the youth in any way, you KNOW that at combined activities, which include all the teens/tweens from 12-18, it's ALWAYS the deacons that are out of control. They're bouncing off the walls or into them. They're loud and silly. They're making things harder- They're being 12-13 year old boys.
It is what it has always been. I'm sure when the pioneers crossed the plains there were times when the saints were all trying to get camp settled at the end of a hard day and over to the West they'd hear some whooping and hollering and see a cloud of dust that was blowing into all the ladies' wet laundry and Brother Brigham would roll his eyes and say "Don't worry Sisters... Those are no indians descending upon us, just a tribe of Deacons!"
However....
As I've watched my son mature and grow in his responsibilities as a Deacon over the last 5 months, a few things have changed my mind and put a stop to my teasing.
1. Deacons are Reverent.
I've watched him pass the sacrament. He stands so reverent and careful as he takes care of his responsibility. I'm so proud of him, I can't help but keep my eyes and smiles on him and every once in a while he'll catch my eye and I'll get a small smile back but then I look away because I know he's been instructed to not draw attention to himself. I'm happy that he has a desire to do his duty. His whole quorum is amazing as they work together; quietly moving through the congregation each Sabbath, serving. I'm also impressed that whenever there is a problem, someone gets confused as where to go next, or the passing pattern gets off track, it is so discreetly handled. They could fall apart with embarrassment or be silly but they don't. Some eye contact, maybe a small hand wave or head nod of direction, and it's handled.
2. Deacons watch out for each other.
A little while ago, one of Jacob's good friends turned 12 and it was his first week to sit over with the Deacon's quorum and pass the sacrament. I was so excited to see him over there because I love this kid and I knew he was anxious to join the rest of the boys in his class. I watched his older brother, who was also a Deacon, notice he wasn't quite paying attention and nudge him softly in the back when it was time for the opening prayer. He quickly folded his arms and properly bowed his head. Then, when it was time to stand for their Sacrament passing responsibilities, the Deacon's quorum president quietly nudged him so he'd stand with the rest of them and wouldn't get embarrassed by standing too late. I loved watching them take care of their newest quorum member.
3. Deacons provide service.
Last week when the snow was falling on Sunday morning and coating driveways for the first time this winter, the phone rang. It was Jacob's Young Mens leader telling him the Deacon's quorum president was in a meeting and, as counselor, the responsibility was falling to him to assign the other boys in the quorum to go out and shovel snow from walks and driveways for the widows in the ward. He wrote down all the names of the women they needed to take care of on a white board and then asked me where they lived. I directed him to the ward list so he could write down exact addresses before calling other boys. He did that efficiently and without complaint and began calling and assigning the other boys. He tried to match boys with addresses closest to their homes and called them up. When he ran out of Deacon's to call and there were still 2 yards left to shovel, he said "I'll do them both"
I sent him out the door and he was off to shovel. No complaining. Wow. Maybe I can get his young Men's leader to call and assign him to wash my dishes.... or clean the bathroom.....
The bottom line is, that as a mother, when I see all that being a Deacon IS...
I have realized my little joke was disrespectful to the priesthood which he holds and to the good that Deacons accomplish in our ward, in our stake and all over the world.
So really all that is needed is a little change in punctuation when he's being obnoxious....
I can say "Don't! Be a Deacon."
Think he'll get it???? Maybe not. I may just have to drop the line altogether.
I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ and the organization of His church that gives my kid this incredible opportunity to refine his rambunctious 12 year old ways and although they will still come out at church activities, at home and at school- There is so much he is learning and there are glimpses of the man he can become.
8 comments:
Oh Jamie, I am so touched to hear that Jacob has turned into such an amazing young man! The deacons in [your] ward are truly great boys, and that is awesome that they look out for each other. I have hope that my boy will grow in strength and power with the priesthood... he only has a little over a year!
LOVE this, Jamie. Your son is growing up so nicely. He's had some good home-schooling. :)
I like your humility in admitting your error.
Glad to see the other side of Squeaken Deacon's.
This has brought tears to my eyes. You have an awesome family, Jamie. I am so proud of you and the wonderful mom/woman you have become. What a handsome young man! All your kids are so great. Thanks for sharing this!
VERY nicely said Jamie. Not having any children of my own, I've watched these boys a lot out of curiosity and interest, and I have observed the same things in them. They are quite remarkable, these young men.
Sniff. Was #2 Nathan?
I...well, I have nothing to add but a yes. It is sweet to see the teaching start to come to fruition. AND! your Jacob looks so grown up.
xoxoxox
@amy..
yes. it was very sweet.
Such a good post!! The boys are so mature for their ages, especially on Sundays during the sacrament!!! Your kids are all amazing and it's such a blessing to be able to learn from you AND them!!! Thank you for pointing out so many positive things about the youth...specifically the boys!!! You're awesome Jamie!!!
Post a Comment