It's her last High School Formal Dance.....
*sniff*
She was asked by this adorable boy...
He wrote a song for her to a Taylor Swift Tune that he played on the guitar
and serenaded her in their choir class.
She thought it was pretty awesome.
She thinks he's pretty awesome.
She found "the dress" months ago when we were shopping for her Aunt Maury's wedding dress. We stopped at Nordstrom's rack in SLC somewhere to look for mother of the bride apparel and didn't find anything for my mom but Carly found this gorgeous dress.
It was everything she always wanted!
Gotta love when the Universe gives you gifts like that...
We tried it on and it fit perfectly and was 1/3 of it's normal price.
I liked that part!
She wanted to avoid the wedding dress comments by going with a contrasting color for her bolero. We looked a couple months ago and actually saw this purple one among many others and she decided to think about it. We also tried on a silver one that looked pretty gorgeous with the silver beading around the waist. She was so busy with school, work, choir concerts, hanging out with friends, DATING and a trip to SUU to tour the campus that we had a difficult time finding a time we could both go looking again. We finally made time the week before prom. She decided that she wanted to go back to Macy's to look "at that purple one".
When we topped the escalator and looked around in the formal department we found ourselves in a bit of despair...
All the prom apparel was on clearance and there were NO boleros in sight. We started scouring the clearance racks and found ONE small purple and one Extra small gray one. We were a little discouraged as she usually is a medium girl.
We headed to the dressing room and- miracle of miracles- the purple fit perfectly. We liked the way the size small fit snugly against the dress. She could raise her arms and move with no fear of ripping the seams and also important- no gaping as she practiced her dance moves. yea!
Then we looked at the price tag and it was %65 off! Double yea!
Then when we got to the register they had another coupon they scanned to help her out. She ended up getting it for less than $10
Then we went looking for the perfect jewelry. I convinced her to take a look at Dress Barn, even though it was NOT a place she would normally look at...
We found a necklace there that she loved. It was smoky grey crystals and kind of chunky and she felt like it really downplayed the contrast of the white and purple and pulled it all together. It was more than she had wanted to spend but she got such a great deal on the bolero that she decided to go ahead and get it. When we got the the register it was only $12.99, about 60% off the normal price.
She smiled at me and said "Temple blessings!"
(She goes to the temple every wednesday at 5 in the morning)
We looked a little for earrings but gave up quickly, it was a hard color bead to match. She decided to just take off a couple of the crystals and make her own earrings.
We had a little trouble with her hair on prom night. It just wouldn't do the same thing it had done when she had practiced with it a week ago.
Her hair difficulty ended up putting her a bit behind schedule. She's gone out with him several times and he's almost always late but of course, Prom night, when he was scheduled to come at 6pm, he called at 5:30 and said "I'm on my way!"...
She said... "Ummm... I'm sorry but I won't be ready til 6"
He was there right at 6 and we were STILL doing her hair. She felt so stupid because she's usually not late. On school mornings, its usually her tapping her foot waiting for Rachel.
She yelled out "I'm sorry! I'll hurry!" and while we finished those last 3 curls and ran downstairs to get her zipped and accessorized Mark sat him down at the computer to watch this video-
When she came upstairs, she was apologizing before she could see him for being late and I dont' know if he planned this or it was completely genuine but it was perfect-
When she came into view, he kind of took a half step back, a little staggery, his eyes got big and he kind of stammered "Oh no, it's fine, you're beautiful!"
What a gentleman.
Big points!
Of course-
Mark had to have a little fun but they played along.
(pleasing the dad... more points)
I loved the red flowers with the purple, although I didn't' expect to. My grandma Lucy would have loved it. She liked bold contrast. Carly loved it too and extra points for the boy...it was all his idea.
(This kid can't do anything wrong-)
They were in a date group with 3 other couples. They had dinner at one of the boys' houses with the moms serving from a mystery menu. They chose their appetizer, main course and dessert but the food items had mystery names so they didn't know what they were getting when they ordered.
She ended up with sprite and a brownie for her appetizer, shrimp, rice and fruit kabobs for her main course and Ham for dessert. She had never heard of this before and thought it was so fun.
For their "activity date" on Friday night they were very creative and fun as well. The boys reserved a church building and set up a volleyball net. They laced glow bracelets through the top and bottom of the net, broke open glowsticks and rubbed the glowy liquid all over the ball and gave each player glow bracelets and a glow necklace. They turned out the lights, blasted the music from the Tron movie and played volleyball. Then they played minigolf on a course the boys had set up. Afterwards, they went to subzero for ice cream and Arby's for french fries.
Their driver was afraid of our driveway... (he he)... so they had a long walk to the car!
She came home very happy.
Best. Night. Ever.
Prom 2012
5 comments:
That is amazing and adorable!!! Is it odd that I've been waiting all day for this post?!?! I LOVE your posts...and I love how your girls and you get along doing all the prep work and pictures!!! I just think it's adorable!!! She IS beautiful and he seems like a great guy!!! Glad she had such a great time...she deserves it!!!
P.S....that song and video is CUTE!!! What a sweet song...listened/watched it after I posted my other comment!!! ;)
I loved Carlys dress! She looked like a fairy princess! And as I was reading the post, I thought... "This reminds me of that Brad Paisley song" ANd then YOU POSTED THE VIDEO!!! ha ha Great minds think a like! lol
Such a cute story to go with a darling couple. I loved the video and I loved the bargains that ended up to be just perfect. Carly is right- many blessings come from temple work. She looked so lovely and he looks handsome and nice. What a lovely way to end her high school experience. Of course the grad party is yet to come!
I'm probably the only one getting more excited about the bargains than the adorable couple:)!!! Way to go!
Proud of you Carly for going to the temple every week. Keep it up! You looked radiant. Wish I could see that dress close up.
Post a Comment