Monday, April 16, 2012

Ever heard of a Shipoopi?


I hadn't until Jacob tried out for his first junior high play.
It was "The Music Man" which I had never seen before.

Jacob made his stage debut at the end of April after practicing for most of March and April.

Both of his older sisters enjoyed the drama program at the junior high and he has decided it's something he likes too.
He missed tryouts for the fall play but had lots of friends in it and they told him all the fun he was missing out on and encouraged him to tryout when it came time for the spring play.

He was excited to be cast as
"a River City teenager"
and a
"Shipoopi Dancer"

When he first told me he was a Shipoopi dancer I thought he was making it up and trying to trick me. It sounded too odd to be real but it is. I had to look it up on youtube before I would believe him...

Doesn't he look great?
It's just what the well-dressed River City teen should look like!
They supplied the knickers & suspenders but we went to a 2nd hand store and picked up the green collared shirt and lucked out to find the hat on clearance at Kmart!
His Sunday shoes and socks finished it off nicely and so we got off pretty cheap in the costuming department. I've had friends at work tell me horror stories of the $$$ they had to drop costuming their kids for plays.

He was also in the band so he got to wear this costume as well. He said it was very hot!
When we saw him afterwards his poor head was streaming sweat. yuck! I feel sorry for the next guy that has to wear that costume!
I hope he put on a double dose of his Old Spice before going on stage....

We had so much going on the weekend of his play performances that we had to split it up. Samantha got to go see it during the day on a field trip with her class.
Rachel, Mason and I went on Saturday night and Mark and Carly went on Monday night while the rest of us went to the elementary school for a program Mason and Sammy were involved in!

He had a lot of fun and I think he'll try it again next year.



In the band video, it's pretty shadowy but I think he's the one front and center.
In the other two, look for the green shirt. I tried to keep him centered but it's not such a great camera! :O
(and I'm not such a great photographer....)



2 comments:

Wendy said...

I think I forgot to tell Jacob how much we loved the play! He did GREAT. William wanted to go back the next night and had he not needed to get to bed on time, we totally would've come.

The Gubler Family said...

I can't believe you have never seen that show before. Richard was in that play when he was in high school. Isn't there a whole "Shipoopi" song? Sorry we didn't get to see his play.