Monday, August 13, 2012

College Orientation at 40.... weird but good

Most of you are very aware that Carly is heading off to college next week....

What you might not know is that I'm going back to school as well.  I start classes at UVU in 2 weeks.  I got my Associate Degree in Elementary Education from Rick's college back in 1991 and then went to a Semester at BYU-Hawaii.   I met Mark the summer between graduating from Ricks and going to school in Hawaii.  I only planned to attend there one semester and then planned to finish up at either BYU or Utah State.  I was having a hard time deciding whether or not to change my major to Nutrition or continue with education and my decision had everything to do with where I was headed next.  

Mark flew to Hawaii and proposed to me 6 weeks after I arrived.  After that my attention turned to wedding plans rather than where I was going to college.  I worked full time for a couple years, had Carly and when she was a year old, I had a babysitting trade set up with a friend and was registered for classes at College of the Desert in Palm Desert, California to finish my degree.  I had attended 2 weeks of classes when Mark got a job offer in Utah that we decided was right for our family.  I withdrew from classes just in time for a full tuition refund and we moved.  I was planning to look into attending either BYU or UVU (or whatever it was called back in 1995) as soon as we got settled but then found out I was pregnant with Rachel.  I decided that apparently that was not my time to finish my degree and I really haven't regretted that decision to be fully present with my babies.  I did purchase and complete a home study course for medical transcription and worked from home for a while.  It was low stress and gave us a little extra $ and gave me something to help me feel like I was keeping my brain active.  It only took a little time when the girls were sleeping.  I enjoyed it.

Now... many, many, many years later it is FINALLY the right time for me to go back to school.



  I have been looking into what it will take for me to finish my degree at UVU for a while now and the stars have aligned for me and here I go! This year will be a part time year for me to clean up my associate's degree.  They are taking just about everything that I did except my math.... grrrr....  I have 3 math classes before I can apply to the education program along with a couple others so I'll have 3 classes fall semester, 2 classes spring semester & 1 class summer semester.  Assuming that they accept me into the program, after that I will have 2 full time years to complete my degree.  

After registering for classes, I got emails suggesting that I attend an orientation session for new or transfer students.  I like to have as much information as possible before I start something new so I wanted to go.  I had already signed up for Carly's orientation in July and was kind of excited for mine too which would be in June.

Let me tell you Orientation at 40 is a little rough.  Here are a couple of highlights from my orientation day.....

1.Having to Beg for my Swag bag: 
While I drove there, I called my mom for moral support.  I was a little lost trying to find the right parking lot and talking to her helped calm my nerves.  I found my spot, said goodbye and walked in to the building.  As I looked around I felt REALLY out of place.  There were so many teenagers with their MOMS!  I asked somebody that worked there if there was a table or something I was supposed to sign in at.  They said that would be later so I just kind of found a corner to hide in.  I called Mark to tell him how odd I felt and hearing his laugh made me feel so much better.

As I people-watched, I saw that most of the kids/students had the same green UVU string backpack.  I figured it must be something to do with orientation so I started looking to see if there was a table with them on it.  I heard a girl tell her mom "Oh yeah, aren't these cute?  They are giving them to all the students"  She pointed at a corner of the room where a couple UVU employees were standing by a big cloth bin full of the backpacks.  I walked over there and they didnt' say anything to me so I tried to make an opening for them to offer me one by saying "oh are those for sale today?" They said "no, they are free for all of the orientation students"  I smiled at them and they obviously couldn't fathom that I was a student & looked away, not asking any questions or saying anything else.  So then I had to say "I AM a student-  can I have one?" and they kind of gave me a strange look but handed over my little green backpack full of folders and notebooks and UVU information.  

I know I handled it a little passive aggressive.... I dont' know why I couldn't just walk up and say "I'm a student, I heard you were giving these out"  It just seemed rude to walk up and demand and what if they weren't giving them away... I was a bundle of nerves I guess.

I had to retreat to my corner and call my mom & Mark to laugh with them about it afterwards.





#2.  Being called out for trying to crash the student campus tour.
After an interesting opening session they invited the parents to stay in the ballroom area to have some parent talks and the students to go in specific groups by table to tour the campus.  I took my little backpack and joined my assigned group and the orientation leader smiled at me real big and said "oh you want to come with us instead of staying with the parents????!!!"  I smiled real big back and said "I'm 40 but I'm a student!"  She got a little embarrassed but we all laughed and moved on.  It was easier after that.  I had a nice little group.  I could have been all of their mothers but that's ok.

Orientation was interesting and even though it was somewhat uncomfortable at times I am glad I did it. I got a lot of good information and felt more ready to start school when I was done.   I even won a free scoop of ice cream for answering a question correctly.  I took Samantha last week on a little campus visit and "bought" her ice cream with it.

And as an extra bonus I was TOTALLY ready and experienced when it was time for Carly's orientation at SUU in July.  I was a pro- I totally know what was happening.  This time, however, I did stay in the parent meeting letting Rachel crash the campus tour instead of me! 







5 comments:

Anonymous said...

YEAH~ I'm so excited for you! You can do it. You are braver than I am. I am hiding behind my computer and only taking online classes. I really admire you.

Melissa said...

Congratulations, Jamie!!! You're going to have a great experience! My husband just finished his college degree at age 40. He went on campus, too, and got called "sir" a lot. He enjoyed being able to get in and out of classrooms quickly because the younger kids just stood aside for the old guy to go through! Good luck with your classes and enjoy!

Judy said...

Ohhh does that bring back memories. I was a non-trad at age 31. I felt sooooo old but the kids in my classes were really nice. You're in for such a wonderful, IN-terest-ing time! It'll be hard, and it'll be great. I, too, am excited for you! Just think - you and Carly will get to share finals stress together! :-)

Maursupial said...

Yeah, you! You are going to LOVE being a student again! Maybe not for those math classes....... But still!

Becki said...

I am SO excited for you!!! What a great experience and blessing for it to all fall into place!! Go you!!! I need to take lessons from you and figure out if I should go back too!!! I wanna be a teacher...it'll happen sometime!!! Good luck and have fun starting school with all your kids!!!