Tuesday, August 14, 2012

I do not think it means what you think it means.....

I have been talking about going back to college for a few months.  I thought that all my children understood what was going on.  Sometimes though.... something that seems so easy to comprehend to us is causing a mass of confusion and struggle in our sweet little kids.

A little over a week ago, Mason approached me in a very "I'm so sure about this voice" and said to me with a confident look on his face   "Jacob and Samantha said your'e going to college in a few weeks but I told them that wasn't true.  It's not. Right!!!!!!!!???!!!"

I said "Oh it IS true.  I thought you understood that.  yes... I'm going to college as soon as your school starts."  He said  "OH" and that was that.  

I didn't think another thing about it.  I was just a little surprised that he didn't realize I was going back to school after all the discussion in our house, me going to orientation, etc.

About a week later, Mason came back to me in a worried voice and said "Mom, when you go to college, will you come home on Sundays?"  

My heart just broke.  He has had to worry for over a week that I was leaving him behind to go to college.  sad!

I hugged him and told him that nothing was more important than him and I would never leave him and that my going to college was very different than Carly's going to college.  I explained that  some of my classes I just do on the computer and one I go to the classroom but it's right by Walmart and I'll be home a little after they get home from school 2 days a week.  

He was very relieved.  I was too.   I told him that being a mom was more important than anything else and that was one of the reasons I was choosing to be a teacher-  it means that even though I need to work to help our family, I will have more time with them than with lots of other jobs.  He liked that idea.  Me too.










2 comments:

Wendy said...

Ohhhhh, that poor boy! What a stressful week that must've been! I LOVE your response to him.

Wendy said...

Glad you worked it out. It really stressed out Ayden when she overheard me talking about going back to school. She asked me who was going to take care of her??? I felt so bad.