Monday, September 14, 2009

Road Trip

We had a chance last week to take a family vacation. This economy has made it hard to think of such things. We were given Disneyland tickets for Christmas from my Mom and Dad last year and we decided to take advantage of the Labor Day holiday and head out to California. Mark and I grew up in Southern California and know that summertime is NOT the best time to hit Disneyland. We were headed down to Southern Utah on Saturday to attend our Niece Bethany's baptism. That was a wonderful occasion with lots of family coming from Vegas and California to visit with.
We planned to stay with my parents through Sunday and drive to California on Labor day, hitting Disneyland the day AFTER the holiday. We worried this plan would go awry when Mark tapped me on the shoulder at 2:30am Early Sunday morning and said those dreaded words "Honey, it's happening...."
From his tone of voice and the time on the clock, I didn't need him to say another word to know what was happening.
Kidney stone.
We had packed Lortab for just this possibility.
He took 2 and some Advil since we were told on our last trip to the ER that pairing Advil with the painkillers helps with inflammation and makes it easier for the stone to pass. I was praying so hard we would not have to go to the hospital, incur another ER bill and have a doped up/headachy dad/hubby who could not enjoy this vacation that we had waited so long to take. I brought him 4 huge glasses of water to drink and bread to eat so he wouldn't get nauseous from the medication. After a while of trying to tough it out, his whole body was shaking and he said we needed to go to the hospital. We drove the 30 minutes to St. George in silence, I was praying and found out later he was too. When we arrived he said "I think I can make it. The medicine seems to be working, taking the edge off enough that I can handle it" We drove home, once again praying but this time prayers of gratitude. We felt very blessed.
His Kidney stone attack came on the best night possible of the trip. He took another half Lortab when we got back to my parent's house and was able to sleep most of the day Sunday. He felt great Monday morning when we set out and for that we have been so grateful.


4 comments:

The Jones :) said...

That is amazing!! Heavenly Father was watching over you guys and answering your prayers!! You guys simply amaze me with your faith and prayers. Thank you for being such a great example!! I hope the kidney stone attacks will come to an end quickly...that can't be any fun :( You are great though!!

Anonymous said...

Good grief... have you ever hated anything more than kidney stones? You guys needed a vacation... I am so happy to hear that you were able to go! I agree with Beck, you are such a great example to me, you are an incredible wife, mother and friend! (and thanks for your comments about my strong-willed son, it was sure good to hear... Jacob is such a great kid now, so there must be hope for my Carson) :)

CaradonandtheBoys! said...

I am so glad you guys got to enjoy your vacation. I am also glad you didn't have to visit the ER while on vacation, that is a HUGE downer!! (Ask me how I feel about the Vegas Medical Community....) Prayers for Mark!!

Christy said...

I am so glad you were able to make it and Mark was so fun at Disneyland-except he didn't want to go shopping-I just don't understand why he wouldn't want to take 5 kids shopping at Disneyland. Strange...