For the last 3 years we have had a "Bethlehem dinner" on Christmas eve. Our goal is not to be super authentic to the region or time period of Christ's birth but to try to think a little bit about how things might have been different for Mary & Joseph as travelers than we normally do things.
We have simple foods that can be eaten without silverware. We use wooden kabob skewers to select our food from the buffet and continue to use them to eat with or our fingers. We try to use as many wooden dishes as possible. I try to pick up a couple new ones every year that we can use. I found 3 large square wooden plates at DI several months ago and I think I'll look for some more of those. We just use paper plates to eat from as the theme is simple. After we fill our plates, we take them to the family room and sit together on a big blanket on the floor and just enjoy eating and talking. We don't really have a program at that point but just eat and have fun together.
We did do a couple things differently this year which we really enjoyed. We invited 8 more Boca's to join the party. Since they live a little ways away we started dinner a little earlier than we have in the past.
We had been given a sugar cured smoked Turkey as a Christmas gift from a friend so we served that in stead of our usual marinated chicken kabobs
Most of the kids decided that it tasted like ham instead of turkey. Whatever it tasted like it tasted really good!
Cucumbers and olives are always on our menu but the spinach dip was new. Carly requested it and made it as mine never seems to turn out right. She has the gift. It was terrific.
Cheese cubes are also another staple but we had pomegranates from my parent's trees in Southern Utah so that was a fun addition.
serious tears.
buckets of tears.
Really. It was that good.
"so expensive in December you want to cry"
but it's once a year as Mark says, and we like to try to have some things that are sorta authentic...
Now that you've seen the spread here's a little peek at what they do with it!
The grape and cheese Kabob was big this year
Some favored the simpler grape only Kabob.
There was one propeller kabob.
I thought Ava's cuke/grape/bread kabob was the most interesting
hmmmm or maybe the grape/olive/cheese kabob
or it could be Samantha's "I'm just happy to be here kabob"
Whatever the kabob...
This year was the best ever, most versatile, loudest, funnest Bethlehem dinner ever!
p.s. I have no idea why 1/2 the text in this post is underlined and some is not. I tried to get it to stop and it wouldn't!!!!!!!
3 comments:
Thanks to you, this has become our tradition to. I love it because we focus on simple foods that don't require cooking and thus don't require any washing of dishes at the end of the night! The girls love pretending to be shepherds and I think it leads in wonderfully to acting out the nativity. This year we went to our cousins for Christmas Eve but we couldn't give up the our Sheperd's dinner so we did it on the eve of Christmas Eve.
Thanks for the great idea.
What a fun idea! Looks yummy and fun-two of my favorite things.
You covered this very well! How clever to highlight the cabob styles. Propellor cabob, HAHAH. And the buckets of tears. So true!
Post a Comment