Let's just get the basics out of the way...
Spinnning is an exercise class involving stationary bikes, loud music and a perky instructor who's goal is to get you pedaling. I love the atmosphere of the spin class I go to. They have the lights dimmed, some white lights around the ceiling and lots of fans going.
The first class I attended was an evening class. Alone- I walked, tentatively, into the rec center having a general idea where the spin class was located but not specifics. I hate that moment of being unsure, not knowing where I am going, what I will be doing.
I like my ducks in rows. (But they so often insist on paddling about willy, nilly- )
I saw a woman walking in the same direction and she looked approachable; a little round & squishy like myself but determined- like she knew her way around this place. I asked her if she was going to the spin class and she was. She introduced herself: Sue, and started taking me in hand, giving me advice on how to approach my first class.
What a blessing she was to me that first night. I know it was just an exercise class but it's never fun- that vulnerable feeling of trying something new, going somewhere where you might not fit, being overweight in a fitness class.
I needed someone like Sue, not some hardbodied athlete that would intimidate me but a motherly figure to guide me.
Sue's advice was very good advice so I'll pass it along to any other beginners out there:
1. Your bottom is gonna hurt.
2. Don't try to keep up with the instructor your first couple classes. Just find a steady pace and try to last the hour. Your bottom is gonna hurt.
3. Your legs are going to be sore tomorrow and maybe even worse the 2nd day. Your bottom is gonna hurt.
She was right on all accounts except I went swimming with my kids the next night and after that my legs didn't hurt at all.
Along with Sue's advice here's a little of my own:
1. FIND A FRIEND:
I went to 2 evening classes and then started going at 5 in the morning with my friend Amy. Going with a good, dependable friend is a MUST! Knowing she is waiting for me to pick her up or that her car will pull into my driveway at 5am is great incentive. I have never hit the snooze once. If I did I'd be late because I only allow myself 10 minutes to get up, dressed, grab my water and head out the door. I try to get my clothes set out the night before and my water bottle in the fridge. I set my clock ahead 10 minutes because seeing the time 4:50 would just do me in. I know, I know, it's silly, it's all in my head, but whatever works to get my behind out of bed I say.
**warning** the first morning you have to drive it may stress you out a little and you may wake up at 2:45 with a start, thinking you've overslept and left Amy waiting, you may also wake up at 3:45 with a start thinking you've overslept & left Amy waiting so, when your alarm goes off for real at 4:50/5:00 am you'll be ready and alert and happy you didn't oversleep and keep anyone waiting.
2. Your bottom is gonna hurt!
It will likely be class #5 that you find yourself happily surprised at the end to realize you didn't spend 75% of the class trying to find one comfortable spot on that bike seat. In our spinning class, there are 2 kinds of bikes. I rode a spinner on my first class, a schwinn on my 2nd and for some reason when I went for my 3rd class I couldn't bear the Spinner seat, but the Schwinn was AHHHHH so much more comfortable. I don't know if I just needed it to conform to the bruises it left the night before or what but I haven't had the nerve to try a spinner again since...
3. Don't take beautiful 16 year old daughters
Class #5 was a day when there was no school so Carly wanted to come with Amy & I. I had been going for a couple weeks and was feeling a little confident about my spinning abilities. I had been through the fire of those first "just get through the class" hours. I was actually switching gears now and able to get out of the saddle (ride standing up) for bits here and there although my legs tire quickly in this position and I usually can't keep up with the rest of the class quite yet. I gave her Sue's advice and helped her get her bike set up and then proceeded to watch her blow me away. She kept up beautifully, switching gears, out of the saddle. It was a bit demoralizing.
4. There may be times it kicks your butt. Whatever. Get off the bike but then tomorrow... get back on.
Class #8: The classes are 45-60 min, depending on how early you get there to warm up. I took Carly and Rachel to an evening class. It was an instructor I hadn't been to before & she was hard. And my bike was messed up, it kept switching gears on me and messing up my rhythm. I don't know what was wrong with me, I even switched bikes after I realized my gear issues. I just couldn't stay on so I left my 2 beautiful daughters spinning away (yeah, it was Rachel's first class, Carly's 2nd and they were going strong.....) and walked away feeling a little defeated. I hadn't walked away ever but I just didn't feel good. I stretched and walked on the track a few laps and then I went back on Wednesday with Amy which was also hard, but I did it. I don't know if it was harder because I quit on Monday or if my body is off rhythm this week. I have had sick kids and maybe I'm fighting being sick more than I realize. Friday will be better.
I'm going to stick with it. It's hard. It makes me sweat. I like it. Class #10 Tomorrow!
7 comments:
I'm so completely grateful you posted this as I have been thinking about attending a Spin class. They have a beginner class on Friday morning, at 9 AM. I'm terrified to even attempt it but you Jamie, you give me courage.
You go girl! We got a bike a year ago, and it definitely made my butt hurt, but I love it. I think for me it is easier to start riding a bike in the morning than doing something that requires standing up(running/cardio video). Because I'm in a sitting position I can ease into the workout even when I don't feel up to it. I don't know how you make it 60 minutes! This last month I finally made it to 20 minutes.
You go girl! That reminds me of the good ole days of exercising in your living room with wendy too. Walking away the pounds! Sure miss you. Good work with your spinning class. You are going to feel so good! I have never done a spin class, but have always heard good things! Keep it up woman!
Too funny! I hear you on "your bum is gonna hurt!" I went to spinning once when my step class had no teacher. I thought I was going to die. The teacher kept telling me to get out of the saddle so my bum wouldn't hurt the next day, but my wimpy legs won't allow that for too long. Hope #10 went better for you!
Awesome Jamie! I should try the gym sometime, I might work harder if someone was telling me what to do. & lol at taking your teenage daughters!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who stresses about sleeping in... causing me to wake up every 15 minutes all night.
I've tried a few tricks to get over this. One that worked for me for a few weeks: Setting my alarm (On high volume) in the bathroom and getting rid of the clock in my room so I would stop checking it all the time. At first this would work and I could say to myself "I remember setting the alarm clock last night. I don't need to worry about the time. I set it correctly last night." And I was able to relax and go to sleep. That worked for about a week. Now I wake up and say, "Wait. What time is it. It has to be at least 5:30. I MUST have overslept. I must have missed the alarm. WHAT TIME IS IT?" and I'll get up and check the alarm in the bathroom.
So, now the alarm is back to being beside my bed.
If you ever figure out a way to overcome this neurotic behavior, let me know. I need some help.
Word Verification: Wingor-- The unholy union of Dr. Frankenstein's assistant and Big Bird.
Yea! Jamie! We have a free gym available on Base but it is way too scary. I've wondered about the nature of spin classes so now I'm educated and know exactly why I can avoid them. I do salute your fortitude. Keep it up!
BTW,regarding Matt's comment, Uncle Dwain says you should just set the alarm clock in your head. He never uses any other kind. Just tells himself the night before when to wake up. That sounds as terrifying as "spinning"!
Post a Comment