Tomorrow there's a dance at Carly's school called the Bargain Ball. A tutorial for High school boys on the cheap date I suppose. Tickets are cheap.... dress is casual.... dinner is supposed to be simple..... dollar menu at Wendy's cheap? I am not sure. We'll see....
Carly was very disappointed upon hearing that in her circle of friends the guys were not planning on going to the Bargain ball. She figured because of this she wouldnt' be asked at all. Then- Wednesday at lunch the boys were huddled up, whispering and pointing and she thought "I don't want to get my hopes up but this looks promising!" Early afternoon brought texts from her friends with cyber squeals of "I've been asked to the bargain ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
She hoped....
We had a busy Wednesday. There was New Beginnings for Young Womens with parents invited so nobody was home for a while.
About 9:30 after we were all home Mark went outside for some reason and found a CD case on the front step with Carly's name written on the front. Inside were some lyrics printed on paper and a CD. Several of the boys wrote and recorded a nerd rap for her and their own dates. It was fun and creative!
Obviously, it's much funnier to listen to but here are the lyrics so you can get a glimpse....
"Yo, what up? This is as white as it gets, Boi!
Once upon a time, this kid went to school.
Believe it or not, he wasn't very cool.
He played D'n D and checkers and chess,
At Star wars Trivia, he was the best.
Never had anything stronger than milk,
and his suspendas, they made outta silk.
His pants are high with his dice on the ground,
At the comic book store is where he'll be found.
But when she walks in, his heart just stops
He's even sweatin' under his argyle socks
Have you ever heard the story of the two nerds in love?
Its' the story of you and me.
A nerd kid and his girl sent from heaven above,
with you I'll get to level three
You make me feel like I've been struck my a lance
Will you go with me to the Bargain Ball Dance?
(listen to the end to hear who's asking!)
So after the lyrics end there's a lot of video game type music, bleeps and blips for about 2 minutes before finally at the end there's a voice saying:
Carly will you go to the bargain ball with me? .... Michael
She whooped in delight. Of course her answer would be.....
Now she had to find a fun way to answer him back. She had to work Thursday and had a party after work so was worried she wouldn't have time to do it. Rachel and Jacob said they would help her and they got busy brainstorming. They picked out a Taylor Swift tune "Mine" and wrote new lyrics for a first verse and chorus.
Jacob and Rachel would dress up as nerds in keeping with the Nerds in love theme and go serenade him with the song they wrote. They really hammed it up and were so cute. I hope he appreciated all the effort they went to. It was fun to see the kids working together on a project helping each other out.

The i-say-yes-to-the-bargain-ball-date-dance Song
Uh-Oh-o-oh-o
Uh-Oh-o-oh-o
You were in high school playing D’n’D and Star Wars Trivia
I was a “girl sent from heaven above”
I liked your argyle and your silk suspendas
Wondering if I’d ever get asked to this Bargain Ball.
Can you believe it?
I was lying on the couch - I heard the doorbell ring,
Yes! Yes! I got asked last night!!
(Chorus)
Do you remember how we felt at Taco Amigo?
You took me out on a date for the first time.
We went on coasters and we even did some laser tagging
You were my first date, and so I answer...
YES!!!
7 comments:
Oh that is so dang cute! That is so great they worked together to do that for Carly. I love your kids? Awesome!
SO cute! Loved the pics and the video, I can't wait to hear all about the dance!
I am in love with those little nerds! Rachel - you rocked. You too Jake - nice moves. I love how you all worked together, so cool. I have seen a lot of asks & answers to school dances, but this one is my fave!
P.S. We had a cheap dance like that when I was in high school, but if you asked someone, they ahd to pay, it was fun. good preparation for dating as a poor college student!
What a great job-love those outfits, but Rachel is beautiful even as a nerd-you just can'd disguise that girl. Nice moves Jacob!
So was Michael her first date??? Inquiring minds want to know.
yes. THey both turned 16 on the same day so they had it planned to go on their first date together on their birthday since 8th grade. They had a good time at the dance. She said "he's a great date" They had a good time.
I'll fill you in more in my next post.
That was the funniest thing ever. I know Rachel did most of the work, but Jacob's dancing was HILARIOUS! I hope they had as much fun at the dance. Valorie had a blast.
Post a Comment