Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Don't call the loony bin but....

I must admit that I routinely talk to my smoke detectors. It's usually a snide "Whatever!" or a "Shut. Up. ! " as the one in my kitchen starts squealing. And when he get's going, the others all over the house feel the need to chime in with their 2¢..

And the thing is.... I'm not even burning anything. (Usually.)

There's no smoke. There's no fire. Just a little heat. Anytime I cook anything at temperatures over 400ยบ they feel the need to go off. Just to make sure that I know I am cooking something hot?

They are extremists. Overanxious. Perfectionists. Too earnest. I'm not sure what they would choose to call themselves or if they're just smugly confident they're doing the job that they are meant to do but I, frankly, am quite irritated with them and would love to replace them with a more laid back smoke detector that would actually wait for...... let's say smoke- to scream at me and call the whole house to attention.

What. Ever.

7 comments:

Wendy said...

LOL--that would be unfortunate in my kitchen. Our detector only misfires after a very steamy shower. Freaked me out the first time it happened, running around in my towel in a panic!

Party of Five said...

This is way I LOVE YOU! Thank you for the giggle. It may be worse if it DOESN'T go off when there actually is smoke!

Becki said...

You crack me up!! I love reading your blog!!! Maybe you should talk to that person who built your house...and ask him why he put in such HIGHLY sensitive smoke detectors!?!?!? :) :) :)

Maursupial said...

I've yelled at your smoke detectors too!!

Karla said...

My detectors here are pretty good. Our other house was like yours... they yelled an annoying beeping sound when one took a hot shower, or when cooking things in the oven. I was trying to keep wrapped in a towel one time while trying to fan the alarm with another towel so it wouldn't wake up baby Emily. Should've invested in a bathrobe. I feel for you! At least it isn't one of those sprinkling ones, that would be worse!

Roberts Family said...

I loved this - I feel the same. Maybe it is a mom thing. I get yelled at enough for things that are needed throughout the day that I don't need something else yelling at me for something I haven't done yet, especially an inanimate object, this includes microwaves, timers, and any other beeping thing that wants me to hurry faster!! lol

The Gubler Family said...

My fire alarm is the dinner bell. My family won't come to dinner until the alarm goes off. And mine of course only goes off when there is smoke.