The other day, Jacob approached me with a request. He waned to use my pruning saw.
As you can see it's got a pretty gnarly serrated edge. I was not very comfortable with the idea at all and asked why on earth he needed to use a saw....
"The neighbors said we could cut off some sticks from their stick pile"
"What do you their need sticks for?"
"Weeeell...... They make really good walnut wackers!"
Well. Of course. Everyone needs a good walnut wacker.
I suggested they use the long-handled pruners.
It seemed a good idea to have their hands farther away from the blade and to not have them involved in any sawing actions near their cute little unblemished legs.
There was such joy and abandon involved in selecting and trimming and jumping on sticks I had to get my camera.
Jacob's best friend was here for the fun.
He and Jacob get along great. He's one of those kids you just love to have in your house and in the midst of the stick cutting and jumping about he waxed philosophical..
He got a thoughtful look on his face and explained it all to me this way:
"To most people, it's a pile of wood. To us, it's a pile of fun."
A simple truth.
Simply fun.
Who needs a Wii?
2 comments:
I love to see kids playing outside and enjoying nature rather than inside glued to the tube. I love those boys of yours. Jacob the philosopher....
LOVE your closing statement. Amen!!
We may need a walnut whacker. My son LOVES walnuts and we need to get some.
Post a Comment