I've been cutting my boys' hair for about 10 years now.
I wont' cut Marks.
Surprisingly, he's asked me to but I dont' dare. I dont' want to take on that kind of responsibility. I have trimmed up the sides when they've been bushy and he hasn't had time to get to the barbershop and wants to be a little nicer looking on a Sunday morning.
My first haircut on Jacob was fairly disastrous. He was 2. Samantha was a baby. I had decided, as often as he would need haircuts, I could learn how to do it and it would save us a LOT of $$. I got out my new clippers and tried to figure them out. I snapped on one of the numbered guards. I really had no clue what I was doing . I tried to start cutting and it just seemed to be pulling the hair, not cutting anything. I figured I must have the wrong idea and so I took those little numbered combs completely 0ff of the clippers and went for it.
That did not turn out well. The clippers grabbed a big chunk of hair and he was bald in the back. oops. I stopped immediately and called my friend Tina who cut hair in her home. She let me come over and fixed it as best she could however he was hair on top and skin on the bottom and sides for a couple weeks.
I could only improve from that point.
I wonder how many haircuts there have been since then. If I have cut his hair every couple of months since he was 2 and then add in Mason's haircuts from the time he was about 2, that would be approximately 101 haircuts.
I've worn out one set of clippers. My 2nd set is probably about to wear out. It makes an annoying buzzing noise sometimes but I'm too practical to do anything about it until it completely stops cutting all together.
With the advent of Jacob entering Junior High I told him that I would be glad to continue cutting his hair but if he wanted something more professional-
I'd be willing to spring for Tuesday haircuts at Evan's hairstyling College.
Remember I only said "more professional" .........
He thought about it and almost took me up on it one Tuesday but couldnt' find a picture of a haircut he wanted and didn't' want to go in blind. He'd been growing his hair out for a few months and was looking pretty shaggy.
A couple of weeks ago, he came to me and said "just cut it!"
Are you sure?
He was.
I did.
I think he looks pretty good.
(If I do say so myself)
It seems he's comfortable trusting me his locks for a while yet.
That makes me happy.
It will change soon enough, I know.
6 comments:
Nice job Mom!!! You did great!!! And what a handsome young man you have there!!! You're a PRO at hair cutting too!!!! ;)
Cutting hair is a great skill to have! Jacob looks great. I love short hair on guys, so handsome.
It looks great. Do you want to try Christopher's? He hates it when I cut his hair. He likes it long and I like it short and since I am the one cutting it, I win!!!
he looks great! I'm not good at cutting hair, so Brian does it. Nate would really rather go to Super Cuts or something, but we don't have that much money, so I let Brian cut it.
Jacob is definitely a handsome dude! Nate sure misses him.
He looks so much more grown up with the short hair. So cute...if Kaelani were older....;-) It's probably a good idea to not start cutting Marks hair. I cut our boys' hair also and started cutting Keith's a few years ago because he would spend a TON getting it done elsewhere.
He is quite picky and has a difficult haircut: #3 all around the bottom but on the neck it needs to be a square round shape. Then with scissors cutting the top, the back has to be shorter than the front so you have to blend it somewhere in between. THEN back to the clippers to blend the sides all around with the comb. Not sure if it is worth saving the money!
What a cute lovable grandson! You are a wonder Jamie. I would have never had the nerve to try it in the first place but because you did- you now can give a very good haircut!!
Post a Comment