Friday, September 21, 2012

For a while there I was feeling pretty good...

*** Wrote this a while ago... obviously I intended to come back, proofread and post..... obviously I was right on the money 3 weeks ago when I said a LOT of things were going to get forgotten.  So-  This was how my first week of college as a 40 yr old mother of 5, wife of 1, went!
___________________________________________________________________________

The first 2 days of being a college student were VERY stressful for me.  Monday was a busy day with some guests who had come for dessert and a house to clean and then finally when everyone had left and dessert cleaned up ; kids were in bed, I attempted to begin my foray into being a college student. I ended up sitting at the computer til 2am FREAKING out over my online classes.  There seemed to be so much to decipher and it just seemed so overwhelming.

The advice I had gotten at orientation, to wait til the first week of classes to buy my books- because sometimes professors change their mind or let you know another cheaper edition is okay or yada, yada, yada...-  seemed to have gotten me in a bind.  My psychology class had 4 assignments due this Saturday and I coudn't get a rental book which was what I was hoping for here until Friday, Maybe Saturday.  I was so mad and upset.  Even buying a used book was double the price a rented book would be....

I finally decided, after trying to check all my options, to buy a used book off Amazon with free 2 day shipping for signing up for their special "student club".  Of course nothing was easy for me that night and I was crying and feeling like this was the stupidest idea I'd ever come up with... this going back to school.. .and there was NO WAY I could handle it.  Then I would pray and calm down and then something else would go wrong or feel impossible and I'd start all over again... I finally made some decisions, did what I could and went to bed.

Tuesday, I was exhausted, of course, from staying up til the wee hours.  I was fasting all day for a friend who needed my support and had my first on campus class.  I went to buy my math book at the bookstore in the hour between getting off work and going to class and stood in an impossibly long line til I finally gave up and put it back on the shelf and hoofed it to class which is, of course, in a building quite a ways away from the main part of campus.  I had to go BACK to the bookstore after class to buy my ridiculously expensive math book.  I was stressed and tired and snapped at Mark for something trivial and threw myself on my bed at 8pm in full clothes, makeup & jewelry.  I ended up sleeping til 11 pm, at which time I found my sweet husband had made sure the children cleaned up dinner and were in bed.  I got up and spent 90 minutes on the computer signing on to my math class now that I had my book and special code.

Today I came home and did my first psychology assignment.  I made banana bread.  I went shopping.  I picked tomatoes and green beans from the garden.  I cleaned out the bottom 1/3 of my fridge which had been so disgusting from spills and such that I was mortified to think of anyone opening my fridge.  I did some laundry.  I took care of some produce, washing, trimming and bagging so it was ready for lunches, future meals, etc. I helped Mason with his homework.  I helped Mason pass off a requirement in his cub scout book about cooking part of his own dinner.

I was feeling pretty good about my day.  I was feeling pretty accomplished and together-

Until....

I realized I had forgotten to take Samantha to Soccer practice....

oops.

I had forgotten to take the 2 youngest over to the school to sign them up for afterschool 4H clubs.....

Oops.

I have a feeling lots of things might get forgotten in the next few months....

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Jaime it gets easier I promise. You settle into a routine, you know what is expected from each professor, You find time where ever you can to study, and before you know it your first semester is done and you are ready for your next one.
You can do!!! You are amazing! If you need help with any thing I am happy to oblige.