Thursday, September 27, 2012

I am now the Mother of a Teenage son. gulp.


He's been taller than me for a while...
He has been eating like a teenager for a while but he didn't officially become one until late August.
Every year the poor boy has to watch all the other kids have birthday celebrations in May and June and then wait til the END of the summer for his.


When he was a sunbeam in primary the primary presidency spotlighted different children each month.  They would have their moms fill out a paper answering lots of questions: favorite book, favorite food, favorite scripture story, etc.  


To the question; "What do you want to be when you grow up?" he answered...
"I'm not sure but I'd like to be able to watch TV while I eat my breakfast"

Well- here he is... a laid back summer birthday breakfast of fried potatoes and fried eggs while he watches TV.   Guess he's on his way to being grown-up. 


Back then his favorite scripture story was "anything with Lamanites and swords".  He still likes the action stories.  He likes Captain Moroni, Teancum, Ammon and the like.  

Mason knows this about his brother.  He is pretty creative and found some scrap wood lying around and got my steak knives and began working on a birthday project for his big brother. I wasn't so happy to see my knives being used but thought he was pretty creative.  He needed a little help connecting the pieces and we found that the glue gun worked pretty good.  


All the kids get pretty thoughtful and creative at birthday time.  Some give gifts with the little money they have saved up which always impresses me with their unselfishness.  Some give gifts of service like "I'll do your dish job three times this month".  It always makes me feel so good when they are kind and generous to each other.


And when it is appreciated!


Do you know I hate licorice! My kids were so shocked to discover that a couple years ago.  They still offer me pieces and look at me in astonishment when I decline.  I am not tempted in the least.


Samantha sent him on quite a long treasure hunt....
We need to make rules about length I guess.
He was a good sport.
(His dad.... not so much!)


This year he chose a Mint Chocolate cake.  I searched Pinterst and came up with a few possibilities and this one was the winner.  It tasted as good as it looked.  So so good.  It's on my "Tried it and..." board if you want the recipe.
The frosting tastes like mint chocolate ice cream. 
yum!


I did make a few changes. I added mint extract t to the ganache and I used a chocolate cake mix doctored up with a cake doctor recipe for Big Bad Chocolate Muffins.


He helped me make it like usual.


Making a wish.....


Hope it was a good one!


Yum!


No comments: