Mark is really, REALLY, really into injecting his birds. This all metal injector is the way to go. Our deep fried TG bird was injected with a cajun seasoning and the outside rubbed with a cajun dry rub. I was really annoyed he'd chosen to go with the cajun because he did a cajun bird a couple years ago and I hated it. I felt a bit affronted he wouldn't go with something I liked too, like a nice lemon-garlic. He said he was going with a different cajun flavor.... a cajun garlic rather than a hot cajun like last time. I was still mad and slammed a few cupboards to make my point. He pretty much ignored that.We WERE having a 2nd turkey that I got to season any way I liked. We have one of those plug-in, sit-on-the-counter-top turkey roasters which I highly reccommend. Your turkey comes out tender and your oven is free for whatever else you need to cook that day. I used a dry seasoning rub I got from my friend Melissa years ago. I have used it on roast chickens before but never a TG bird. Mark injected my roasting bird with melted butter and we put onions, celery and a quartered orange in the cavity. I rubbed a little oil on the skin and then patted on my dry rub.
Savory Roasted Turkey
1 T Italian seasoning 1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp season salt 1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dry mustard 2 bay leaves
The recipe indicates this is for a 12 lb turkey. I doubled it for my 20 lb bird and it was just fine.1 T Italian seasoning 1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp season salt 1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dry mustard 2 bay leaves
I sprinkled 3-4 tsp of the seasoning inside the bird w/my doubled recipe. For a single recipe, it calls for 2 tsp sprinkled inside the cavity. You put the bay leaves inside the cavity with the onion/celery/orange.
You might think the seasonings would be too strong for the juices for making gravy but the drippings always make wonderful gravy. My gravy was the best ever this year. Yum. I'm starting to drool just thinking about it.
After our fabulous TG dinner when I was pulling all the meat off the carcases of our birds to refrigerate, I decided to try a bit of the cajun bird I'd been disdaining all day. Nobody was watching. I had made such a scene I didn't want him to SEE me try it. um... I liked it. yeah... The garlic cajun was yummy. I ate a little more. mmmm. He came into the kitchen. I swallowed discreetly. "It was good Honey and really different from the last one, I wish you would try it!" His kind concern did me in. I confessed, "oh... well, I just did actually. it's good......" Wisely, he simply smiled and said "oh, good, I'm glad you liked it".
We had some Martinelli's sparkling cider left over from our TG celebration so Mark decided to inject this smoking turkey with the cider and melted butter. He's all about wild experimentation.
You've got to soak your wood chips for a couple hours before you start. You don't want them to burn, you want them to SMOKE!






7 comments:
That was fun to read. Oh, that looks so good after having the flu for 2 days. Yum! We need to learn how to do that. Good food sounds good right now, but I think I will wait one more day to eat. I have not even craved chocolate at all. I don't even want any. A turkey sounds much better. Yum!
Yum!! I saw a show on one of the food channels the other day all about BBQ and the "toys" hard core BBQ's use. There were a lot of injectors, too funny!
Yummy! That made me oh, so hungry! The best part is that I can totally picture the whole day. Mark and his injector. Adam loves that kind of thing too.Don't you hate it when you just happen to actually like something they make & you swore you would hate. LoL! I am a little confused though, why didn't you let Carly out of her room all day?
I'm intrigued by the countertop turkey roaster---I've never heard of such a thing, but it sounds great! Where'd you get it?
AMY: I think Mark's parents bought it for us at Kmart but I have seen them at wal-mart too. I always see them around the holidays for around $30. I'll try to find a picture of what I'm talking about. I may be calling it a turkey roaster and you may be calling it something else! :)
AManda: watch for the next post....
I love the mad scientist look on Mark's face while he's injecting the bird. I don't likea the smoked turkey stuff, but it looked like he sure had fun.
Wow--Mark takes his bird very seriously! With some fantastic results, it appears. Might have to steal those rub and injector ideas!
Those pictures are great.
Post a Comment