Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Family Home Evening: Jacob style


Jacob had the lesson for FHE recently. Honesty was his topic. He did a great job of finding stories about the blessings of honesty and the negative consequences of dishonesty in the friend magazine and related scriptures in the Bible and Book of Mormon. He was serious and careful and gave a great lesson. A few of us got this look when we weren't paying attention...


When he complained bitterly to me that "it doesn't feel good at all to be standing there trying to teach a lesson and have people laughing and whispering and just not paying attention at all", I threw my arm around his shoulders and professed that I understood completely and that in the future he should remember just how that felt so as to never make anyone else feel that way....
(one can always hope...)

As I said, the lesson was good... but Activity time was when he really shined.

He and Samantha wrote several honesty scenarios, tucked them into plastic bags and taped them to the front door. Then the Tomy20 was loaded.

Our mission, should we choose to accept it, was to hit one of those plastic bags with a dart from the gun. Whichever one we hit was our "question" to answer.

I got a lot of razzing from the Big cheese when I was aiming at the door

and I would like to state, for the record, that I am the ONLY Bocanegra that hit a plastic bag.

As it became apparent nobody was the skilled markswoman that I was, Jacob wisely decided to pull the bag off the door that was "closest" to where their dart hit.

He even made Dessert.

*Scotcharoo's*

(A.K.A O'Henry bars w/chocolate and butterscotch chips mixed in the topping to those of you with a Lowe cookbook)
Rachel is not in the picture as she does not like Scotcharoos.
sad, yes~ but not without it's silver lining.....
More for the rest of us!

9 comments:

Karla said...

Sounds like a good FHE! What a great game too! Emily did FHE here a few weeks ago about putting on the Armor of God. I like the idea that someone else other than ME does FHE.

Mr Lowe said...

Great lesson Jacob! I love the activity idea! Maybe we should try that with our Primary class...then again, maybe not!
Jamie, I am so glad that you let your "Lowe" show and hit the bag with the dart gun! I'm afraid the "Big Cheese" in this house would have probably chuckled at the way I aimed a gun too. The competition factor always shines through in a very "Lowe Quality" way. Love you guys!

Word Verification: redneta as in "Some Lowe's are "redneta's" some are "darkneta's" but they are all fierce competitors!

Emily said...

I heard that my husband was contributing to the laughing and whispering and just not paying attention at all. He & Mark were texting about their boys night out. You may think I have the subjects wrong in that last sentence - surely I meant Carly or Rachel texting about a girls night out, but no, it was Mark & Matthew acting like teenage girls. (They don't read this blog right?)

Word veri: cracery. When you don't pay attention to his lesson, it makes Jacob cracery.

Emily said...

Oh & yummy treats! I want some.

Wendy said...

It all sounds awesome. I'm so impressed with him!

Christy said...

Maybe I should try that with my Sunday school class. I frequantly have that look on my face. Last week I had to take away phones that they were texting each other with. Matthew and Mark-RUDE!!! The activty looks fun and way to go Jamie!

Judy said...

Oh man, that was creative! Great job, Jacob. If I ever teach about Honesty again in Relief Society, can I borrow the idea AND the gun? I think that would really liven up my lesson, yah? Then again, it might not assist too much in bringing in the Spirit ... darn.

Judy said...

Oh and next Family Home Evening, sounds like you need to take away Mark's cell phone so he can't text. Hah!

Amy Sorensen said...

any FHE that incorporates the Tommy20 would be a hit at our house too!!! ;)