Sunday, February 20, 2011

Is Popcorn your Preference?

There are 6 dances at Carly's high school every school year.
3 boy-ask-girl and 3 girl-ask-boy.
There was a semi-formal girl-ask-boy dance this month called Preference. At first Carly decided she wasn't going to go. Most of her friends weren't planning on it and she didn't have enough $......
Then 2 of her not-as-close friends talked to her about joining their preference group and they had a not too expensive plan for dinner and date and even an idea of who she could ask and they changed her mind.

This was the first time she has gone out on a date with a boy I don't know, a boy out of her regular group of friends. He's a senior and she knows him pretty well from the few drama productions she's done this year and last.

This is how she decided to ask him.....



First she ding-dong-ditched leaving this tub of butter & note on his porch.....

Then 10 minutes later she ding-dong-ditched again, leaving this giant bag of popcorn and note indicating he'd have to dig through the butter to find out the identity of who was asking him out. In the butter she had placed laminated notes saying "keep going", "you're almost there" etc. When he got to the bottom of the butter tub there was a note saying "oops! I meant the buttered popcorn!" So then he'd have to dig through the buttered popcorn to find 5 little laminated squares with "C", "A", "R", "L", "Y" on them and unscramble them to figure out who was asking.

She did this on a Wednesday and no answer came on Thursday, no answer came on Friday, Saturday or Sunday. She was starting to get a little worried. Did he want to go? If not fine but give me an answer!!!!! No answer came on Monday, Tuesday.....
She started asking her friends to do some digging, find out if he wants to go with me or not.

The word came back...
Yes, he wants to go with you.

I was starting to get really annoyed with this kid I didn't know who was keeping my daughter waiting for an answer! How rude!!!

Then she came home from play rehearsal on Thursday pretty happy with popcorn kernels in her hair. "He answered me and it was epic!"


A friend told her she needed to go out to the front of the school with her to "see something". When she walked out of the front doors there was a giant box of popcorn sitting on the sidewalk. She didn't know what she was supposed to do, there were quite a few people out watching... She walked up and knocked on the box and out flew popcorn everywhere and the boy in question: Royce
saying "yeah sure I'll go! why not?"

The box was dropped off in our front yard later that day and is now in our garage... what are we gong to do with it? I don't know but it's awful cute. He went to a lot of work and it made her happy so he has been redeemed in my eyes. I see now why it took so long!

There's always a "day date" and then the dance in the evening. One of the girls had plans all of saturday so the three couples had a date friday night and then dinner and the dance Saturday night. They had a Nerf war and war painted each other's faces. Then they went to some program at the high school called Mr. & Miss T. I still am not clear on what exactly that was. Then they went to "The chocolate" a dessert cafe for cookies and ice cream and back to one of the girls houses for games. All in their camouflage face paint...




Saturday night was the dinner and dance. I begged her to stop by and take pictures. She wasn't sure what time it would be. She made rolls and bought Caesar salad for their dinner. She went to her friend's house to get all primped up and get her hair curled. They picked up the boys and had dinner at one of the girl's houses and went to a park to take pictures. Mark and I had gone out to see Harry Potter 7 again and then shopping at Macey's so I was afraid I might have missed them. I didn't. Then I got worried they weren't coming by at all but they did. I got to shake hands with the boy and be introduced. I took a couple of pictures and gushed about how cute they were and they were off again.




awww... so cute.

2 comments:

Becki said...

Oh how FUN!!! Carly is BEAUTIFUL...just like her Mama!!! What a fun date and time for her!! And I'm glad you approved of him!! They do look dang cute together!!!

Party of Five said...

that is so great! Pretty creative and funny!