Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Valentine boxes: 2nd generation


In years past, Carly & Rachel set a pretty high standard for making Valentine boxes which they only do here in 4th, 5th & 6th grade. Sometimes the classes have contests with prizes and sometimes they don't.

Samantha wanted to make a Valentines castle. This is a scaled down version of something I saw in (you guessed it..) Family fun magazine several years ago and ripped out and saved in my little book of someday projects.

It took a few days to put together. We started collecting boxes. We sat down one Friday night and cut and glued and made a basic floorplan. Several days the next week we refined and trimmed and adjusted til we had the final product ready to be painted. The painting took less time than I thought it would. We sat down one night for about an hour and got it all done. She took some time the next day to add some detail with foam stamps.
She won the prize for most valentine-y.
(and best hat)

Jacob wanted to recreate Carly and Rachel's prizewinning hot air balloon box. He didn't have the kissing Ken that Carly had to clinch her win but we had fun figuring out how to do sandbags and weaving the paper into the design around the box.


We filled water balloons with salt and tied them to the sides. I rushed out Monday morning to buy the balloon and he used his Playmobil guy to stand guard with an instructive sign. He didn't win because a girl in his class made a pretty impressive grand piano box. I saw it. It was seriously detailed.

We practiced the phrase "well, it's not all about winning!"
a lot.

5 comments:

Becki said...

Simply amazing...I'll have to start ripping things out of my Family Fun magazines!! Those are some COOL Valentine boxes!!! And the weaving/sand bags are SWEET in Jacob's!!!

Christy said...

Did Mason do one? Samantha and Jacob's were pretty incredible. I loved the detail in Sam's and Jake's guard may have been a bit of overkill, his ballons were awesome. Great job!

Jamie said...

mason didn't make one. They usually just decorate bags in class for the lower grades

Karla said...

Way to go! Those do rock! The piano must have been amazing to beat Jacob's balloon basket. He should still be pretty impressed with it. And the castle is super cool. I don't dare show my girls or they will want one next year. I sewed little white backpacks with red stitching for 2 of mine last year. But nothing like these!

Sharla said...

So cute! I don't need to rip things out of family fun - I have you!! :) Really.. they are super cute, you guys did great!