But Instead, I'm looking at all the old pictures people have uploaded on facebook of me in high school. I decided to put them here and comment on them so my kids could make fun of me later.......
So really, I'm not wasting time.
I'm doing family history!

I was in a pageant. he he
Miss Yucca Valley 1988 I think. I didn't win a thing but I had fun.
In our Small town, it was sort of the thing to do your Junior year. You learned how to walk in a swimsuit in heels. A serious life skill I've needed often in the last 20 years.

I think this is 9th or 10th grade. 10th if you made me guess.

I cheered sophomore and junior years.
I was so shy & self-conscious in Junior high. 9th grade was a little better for me, I started coming out of my shell. I had a very outgoing best friend who convinced me to try out with her at the end of 9th grade for the JV squad. Halfway through the week, she quit and I didn't. I made it and really had a great time doing it. I had some really good friends on the squad who had been my friends already and I don't think we were like the sterotypical "mean girls" you see in the movies. I really don't. It helped me feel more confident and I'll always love cheerleading for that.
I couldn't even do a cartwheel. (once again, benefits of a small town.) I could do the splits though and I was an awesome base on the mounts. Nobody else was strong enough hold up the split mount. I took great pride in that. As I looked forward to my senior year, most of my friends on the squad and I decided we didn't want to be that busy, we wanted to go to the football games and just enjoy them and have more time to just be so we didn't try out for our Senior year. It was a good decision.
Can you find me?
Back row left...
This was junior year 1987-88: Varsity squad

9th or 10th again.
Christy, we did look alike even then. I didn't see it though. I sure do now.

Senior Prom.
They don't do pictures now like they did then. Everyone has their digital cameras.
We took our date pictures and then our girlfriend pictures.
Then we passed them out with little notes on the back. It was an agonizing process. You bought the package with as many wallets as you could afford and then parceled them out as people asked for them with your little heartfelt notes, hoping you didn't run out if someone "important" asked you for one.
With Carly's dances, a friend just takes pictures and then they upload them to facebook.
That's me in the blue dress. I felt so fancy. I found that Gunne Sax dress in Seventeen Magazine (*which I read religiously every month) and then found it at the mall and put it on Layaway. The dresses for my other dances I had found at discount GunneSax stores or Nordstroms rack or borrowed. This one was my big splurge. I found the matching gloves (Gloves with formals were big in the 80's.) and sparkly rhinestone and fake blue gem earrings and necklace. It was my dream formal outfit. LOVED IT!
Then, while it was all on layaway, my boyfriend and I broke up. We were still going to go together until I caught him writing notes about me that ended up with a big screaming fight in the parking lot. Just as I pushed him on the chest and yelled "FINE!! SCREW PROM!" I remembered my lovely dress and reconsidered.
I am not usually an impulsive girl who acts without thinking through consequence but I was SO mad- darn it. ... as I pictured my lovely dress in my mind I didn't care so much about the note anymore. I just wanted a date to prom.....
Ahh...
It was fun to reminisce but now I have to go blow dry my hair.
4 comments:
Just the way I remember you!! Beautiful!
Gunne Sax! I haven't thought of that for years! haha.I never saw it spelled either...
Oh how technology has changed youth. It makes high school seem like the dinosaur era. But look, here you are all modernized getting your prom picture posted to Facebook just like Carly. (These are cute!)
You should do more posts about you more often, not that I don't love hearing the goings on of my adorable nieces and nephews and BIL. However, its a firm belief of mine that everyone deserves a little more Jamie in their lives!
What a babe you are! I love these pictures. I just saw another side of you I never knew before. You are adorable!
Post a Comment