Sunday, September 25, 2011

Meet Babbette

Isn't she cute?
My mom brought her to me a little while ago.
Her little flecks of yellow match my front room walls exactly.
Her funny little cocked head and quizzical expression make me happy every time I look at her.
It's like I caught her by surprise.....
again.

When I was little I wanted a bird. My dad said "over his dead body".
He's not a bird lover.
at all.

I love to watch the birds in my yard. Sometimes when I am getting ready for the day up in my 2nd floor bathroom, I'll turn off the blow dryer and look out the window and watch the birds foraging, hunting across the lawn. Sometimes I watch so long I get behind schedule. They intrigue me. I like to watch their little squabbles over whatever succulent berry, crunchy nut or wriggling worm one has and all the others want. I like to watch as some give up their prize at the slightest squawk and others fight the good fight flying off with their snack to a secure location. well... more like a secure for 2 seconds location because it's likely they'll have to fight for it again anywhere they're visible. It's never really secure until its swallowed.

I have no desire for a pet right now. I have too many people to take care of to add one more.
But when the kids grow up and move away.....
I think I'd like a bird.
Not a big, loud, squawky, talking bird.
Just a sweet small one that sings
and will hop into a patient hand.
I think I'd like it if she had a little yellow...
Like Babbette.

I told Mark that the other day.
He said.....
"Whaaaaaaaaaaat?"

I guess we're gonna see about that.

3 comments:

Christy said...

I love Babbette-she is adorable. I do like birds, but they are very messy and Brie likes to kill them, so no birds at my house. I think I would like one at your house, it would probably be safer than mine!

Mark said...

No birds........No nothing. If Jamie gets one then I will have to give in and allow Christy to come over and bring Brie. :)

I would consider fish. I would love to have a 400 gallon salt water fish tank with exotic fish

Jamie said...

okay! so birds and fish it is in our old age!
sounds great Honey.