Saturday, June 16, 2012

The first days of the rest of her life.... So far, So good!



CARLY GRADUATED!!!!!!!
I can hardly believe it's true myself-
Tuesday, May 27th was the big day.
Mark was so afraid that he wouldn't get back in time from work for Carly's graduation.  It had the potential of being a big delivery day with it being the Tuesday following  "Observed Memorial day Monday".  To ease his mind, he decided to take the whole day off, which is kind of a big deal b/c it does come out of his pay. He was that concerned. 




He absolutely was taking no chances.  He didn't want to miss a thing!  Our 2 boys, however, did have to miss it.  Jacob had injured himself pretty badly earlier that month with several sprains due to an unfortunate trampoline accident and then an equally unfortunate  fall down our staircase because he was unfamiliar with his knee brace and he decided to use crutches to go down the stairs instead of sliding on his bum....
Valuable life lesson learned.  No crutches on stairs.  I can't believe I didn't get a picture of him when he had a brace on his knee, brace on his wrist, elbow and ankle wrapped with ace bandages.  All on the left side.  He was a mess.  That's a whole other post however.  We didnt' think he would be able to navigate the long walk from the parking lot to the event center or the stairs.

Mason had started throwing up the evening before and all through the night.  He was feeling pretty good by the time we left for the graduation but I wasn't taking any chances-




The sun was so bright and it was hard to find a spot to take some pictures before graduation started with all the other families trying to find spots too.  There were families of a graduation that had just ended and then the one that was just beginning- ours!  Mark never likes to stop for pictures and Carly was tense and anxious to get in to the graduation but darn it! My kid was graduating and I wasn't leaving without pictures so we stood in the spotty shade beneath these pine trees and snapped a few pictures.


Then off she went!


My parents and my sister came to visit for the big day.  We were so glad to have them here.  It was fun to visit before and after with them.


I like this picture of Mark and I.  Like I said- he rarely stops to take a picture so I have few of us together but we had to sit there anyway to wait for the graduation to begin so....where was he going to go? He was out of excuses!   The graduation was nice.  There were a few speakers with the traditional sentiments.  Carly is in the chamber and accapella choirs so she was sitting on the front row with the rest of the choir so they could easily get up and sing the 3 numbers they were involved in throughout the program.  When it was time for the actual receiving of the diploma she was like the 4th person called out.  It caught me off-guard as I was expecting alphabetical order and I certainly thought there would be more than 3 people with "A names" and "Ba, Be, Bi names" before her.  I was able to cheer and hoot and holler but I didn't even realize there was a big screen that showed the graduate when they called their name until after she passed so I don't know what she did for her "moment" on the big screen.  Some of the kids were pretty creative and had obviously put lots of thought into the moment.  One had a superman shirt under his gown that he exposed, others struck a silly pose, some pulled out props.  Carly said she just smiled but GAH! I missed the graduation smile.  

Oh well.  

I thought I would cry but I didn't.  Maybe it was because I didn't have time to get geared up with her being called 4th.  Maybe I wouldn't have if she was 32nd but whatever the case, I didn't.  I was just happy for her and just happy in general.  It was a good night.


These pictures taken after the ceremony are so much fun.  There's such a sense of joy and abandonment in Carly and everyone else. I love it. 


She's been such a good example to her 2 younger sisters. I coulnd't have asked for a better oldest child and pace setter.  


Her cousin Kei just became a new mother somewhat dramatically.  An unexpected honeymoon baby and then pre-eclampsia brought the baby 3 months early.  This little guy is a fighter  and well-prayed over and after 3 months in the hospital has been home for a few weeks.  This was our first time seeing him other than through a glass window in the NICU.   



Her cousin Justin and Cousin in law Ademir were there too.  Thank you guys for coming and supporting Carly.  You're the best! 


Her amazing young women's leader came to graduation to give her a candy lei and make sure she knew she was loved.  Julie always does amazingly thoughtful things like this.  How can the girls NOT feel loved with such thoughtfulness.  Thank you Julie.  Words are not enough to express my gratitude for the way you love my girls.  This is Carly's expression when she realized Julie was there.  Priceless! 


....and then a little more composed.


Papa hugging his oldest grandchild as a graduate....


......and a little more composed with grandma.


The powers that be had Carly so freaked out that she wasn't going to get her diploma.  They told her that she had to have her gown turned in 20 minutes after her graduation to pick up her real diploma or fughedaboutit.

We told her they were just trying to scare her and we had time for pictures so she relaxed a tiny bit and enjoyed the moments with all the family around her loving her, happy for her, proud of her.


Like her Auntie Christy who traveled all the way from California to visit her.  We used to live just 30 min away when she was in Ogden and we were in Brigham city.  We miss that.  We're so grateful she made the trip to be with us.  Thank you Aunt T


Well, it's the end of an era and the beginning of the leaving the nest era.  We aren't sure how we feel about that but we are proud of the woman she is becoming. 
Good Job Carly.  We love you.


and this one.....
Come on Rach- Give us a break.  We don't even want to think about it.  I know it's only 2 years away but give us time to breathe baby!


After Graduation, there was about an hour to kill before she had to go to her all-night senior party at the high school that would be from 11-5.  They had a movie playing in one room, laser tag in the hallways, music, probably plenty of games/activities that I'm not aware of and food from costa vida and breakfast at 4:30am, sending them out the door at 5am. 

Grandma Carla, Papa, Aunt Christy and the Boca's that were present headed to IN N OUT, one of Carly's favorite places to eat and had a burger and fries to end the night.  

YUM.

Since graduation she has been working, turned 18, helped her sister turn 16, feeling free from all that homework, spending lots of time and  having LOTS of fun with her friends, becoming more and more aware that things may never be the same again.  That knowledge is hitting home pretty hard.  One of her best friends since preschool just got his mission call and they are all getting ready to go different directions to college and missions.  

Right now, she's just focusing on right now.

I think that's okay.

2 comments:

Karen Brothersen said...

First of all, I love the way you type! You are so good with your words and very funny (as always). I too can hardly believe my little beehive is all grown up! I just love and miss your whole family! Congrats Carly!

Abby said...

Well you may have held it together but Carly in her cap and gown brought a tear to MY eye! Such a big deal to graduate and all it represents. She will do just fine.