It was a present I made. It wasn't even one of the "big" presents.
It was just something I decided to try on a whim.
I knew it would either be a huge hit or a megafailure.
It was for Samantha and I NEVER know how she is going to respond, especially at gift-recieving time.
A little Background:
Samantha is a infomercial sucker! She takes after her father....
We are the proud owners of a Ronco Food dehydrator, a magic bullett, a steam machine, The abdoer and WOULD own so much more if I didn't absolutely FREAK out when he gets one of these things in the mail.
She comes to me routinely with comments such as this: "Momma do you know what we really need? The aquaglobes! We have plants and they are for plants! You know how hard it is to remember to water them all the time and how sometimes water can spill all over??? well the aquaglobes will make it so much better. You don't even have to remember momma. You just fill them up and stick them in the pot. They are fantastic! Don't you think we need them? They are only a little bit of money... something with a 9 in it. They are like blue and green. I think you can choose which color you want" (Imagine the most earnest little face and a voice filled with awe and wonder)
In early December it was the Snuggy that had her infomercially twitterpated. She even got Jacob sucked in. "Momma look at this blanket!!! It's so good for watching TV and eating!!!!" But we dont eat in the TV room.... "Well, you could read a book too and stay warm." Jacob: "Yeah mom! It would be so great for Saturday mornings when we watch cartoons. Samantha and I always come down before anyone else gets up and we're always cold!" Samantha: " We wouldn't waste money by turning on the heater..... You can choose between red and blue and green! I want blue." Jacob: "I want green"
They were so cute in their desire for a "snuggy" so I did a little research. It would cost $19.99 for a snuggy. BUT WAIT! you get a second one free. so... 2 snuggys for $19.99 plus 2 free booklights. But you have to pay $8. shipping on both snuggys. So it comes to $36 for 2 fleece blankets with sleeves. I did a little more research and found a pattern online for a "slanket" a blanket with sleeves. It looked the same as a snuggy. I saw a 50% off fleece sale at a local fabric store and I was all over it.
For $15 I bought 2 1/2 yards of yellow fleece with monkeys all over it for Samantha Grace and 21/2 yards of green/brown camouflage fleece for Jacob. The original pattern called for 3 yards but that seemed so large for kids so I cut it down some and made a couple size alterations to the sleeve holes. They went together pretty quickly.
I was SOOO excited. There's something about giving a gift you've had a hand in creating. It feels different. I couldn't wait to see them open their snuggy's. I knew it was a bigger deal to Samantha than Jacob so my hopes were resting on her. She has a little perverse streak in her, however, that keeps me from being able to anticipate her reactions. You just NEVER know what you're going to get....

SHE LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She wore it all day. She wears it backwards like a blanket robe most of the time but she LOVES it and thinks it is better than the real snuggy's because they are only plain colors.
Ahhh....Success!
Jacob likes his too. I was sick Christmas day so he let me borrow it and you know it is rather nice to have sleeves in your blanket for handling that remote control, reading a book or just giving someone the 'ol Thumb's up! They're also GREAT for late night blogging... you're sitting at the computer, the house is chilly because you have your thermostat set to a low temp at night when you SHOULD be in bed sleeping. I may like them just as much as the kids!
11 comments:
I WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!! Those look warm and snuggly and cozy and FUN! Maybe I could sew one since I have a sewing machine...Nah.. I'm not a sew person, but hey Mic is...Oh Mic!
I'm glad you scored! That is awesome. You did such a great job. I'm not that talented with sewing. I'm more retarded in the sewing area.
Ah, I love that story. It makes me want to start making homemade presents now for next Christmas just for the warm fuzzies.
I LOVE this post, Jamie. How fun that she loved her gift so much.
Oh, and I can't see you on the couch. Where are you?
:)
She never took it off almost the entire time she was here for Christmas. It was certainly a big hit!! Dad
I feel bad that I didn't notice the Slankets when you were here... but
(as Wendy pointed out) I may well have been in the same room with one of the Slankets most of the time you were at Mom's but I just didn't see it.
Emily, if you are reading this: I WANT ONE! It would make a great Valentine's Day gift.
Word Verification word= plupe- (ploop vb.) 1. The action of falling onto the couch while wearing a slanket, especially while sick. Samantha, why don't you plupe over on the far side of the couch? 2. (n.) One who has pluped. (also, pluper)
You just gave me a great idea.... my boys have been begging for the snuggy, I might have to call you for some pointers... I've got the sewing machine just not great at it. :) You are such a great mom.
That is awesome! I too love when I make something and it goes over so well! My girls are much like Samantha, "mom don't you think we need that?" is what I hear all the time on those silly comercials. My girls seem so convincing with their reasonings too of why we need these lights that stick somewhere, or this special floor cleaner. In fact a few days ago I was showing my girls some old decorated linens from my G-Grandma and some of them had little holes and edges there were coming undone. "Mom, we need that glue they sell on TV that you can use to sew anything back together, they even say you can use it on leather, denim, or lace and this is kind of like lace isn't it?"
Glad your snugglies turned out so well!! And they do look very snuggly too!
Maybe you could keep some on hand for your poor relations that come and think your house is FREEZING!!!!!
i am so glad she loved it. i agree about the feeling you get when you make a gift. cora ended up loving her tutu as well. we rock! i am still wanting to do lunch, let me know when you think it would be a good time. sorry you were sick.
Hooray! I have to tell you that as I was building up towards Nathan opening his guitar, I was thinking about the snugglies and hoping Samantha loved hers. I'm THRILLED that she did!!! Hooray again!
Post a Comment