The Young women (church youth group) planned a Daddy Daughter Nerd Night for their midweek activity. My crew REALLY got into it. They had so much fun getting their costumes together. The girls didn't even ask for help from me although I heard Rachel lamenting for a while she didn't know what to do in exasperated tones at Carly. She pulled her look together quite nicely in the end. Mark, however, required a bit more help from me. I found and taped the glasses. I fetched his shoes and attached his suspenders. There was a LOT of giggling as we watched these 3 pull together their outfits.

The shorts add a bit of sporty fun as if to say... "I may have tape on my glasses & pencils in my pocket but I know how to PAR-TAY!"
"I love technology"
Rachel goes completely academic with her science book and a pencil in her hair, while Carly pulls inspiration from several angles... She's got her "I conquered homework" t-shirt, a star wars clone wars mask AND she's carrying something with a DRAGON. (which she was really into in 6th grade by the way... we're lucky we pulled her back from that dangerous precipice or she'd be a full on Dungeons and Dragons Babe by now.)

"Don't bother me, I'm reading"

Rachel tried to go "Napoleon" and wear snow boots but they were too big and clumsy so she opted for the ever popular "socks with sandals".
The evening was a success. They came home in good spirits having won the most coveted award "Most nerdy overall". Rachel was very disappointed she lost a pie eating contest "by one bite"!!!! . Mark won the eat a marshmallow off a string contest and Rachel made a good showing in the eat a doughnut off a string contest and Carly discovered "I have a really small mouth" so competitive eating is really not an avenue she'll be pursuing.
Thanks to Julie and the other Young Women leaders for planning such a fun night!
10 comments:
They're pretty cute!! I saw them drive by last night and wondered why Mark was dressed like that...now it all makes sense!! Looks and sounds like fun!!
I love it! Rachel reminds me of those girls in the movies that are supposed to be a nerd at first & then at the end of the movie, they take off their big glasses and they're suddenly gorgeous. (Think Taylor Swift's You Belong with Me music video) No glasses can hide the fact that my niece is a babe!
It's almost scary how natural Carly looks. Jamie, I bet you're breathing a sigh of relief that you saved her from that kind of life. Although, she could make even dungeons and dragons cool.
I think I'll steal this idea for the next activity I'm in charge of. Looks like fun!
Mark is such a trooper. Mike would never do that.
em: email the girls and ask about details. I know they gave out an invitation on a paper tie, they were all supposed to bring a popsicle stick, a can of shaving cream, 5 barrettes, a tie and they had a relay where the daughter shaves dad from behind with the pop stick, dad does daughters hair, and then tying the tie. (carly just tied a knot)
pie eating contest: hand size pies. Dad holds pies while girls eat sans hands
doughnut on a string: eat donut on string w/no hands
marshmallow on a string. eat w/no hands.
awards
It was SO much fun!! I had a blast dressing up too. I walked over to Amy's house and she said Braydon told her, "Caradon might come over looking like a nerd, but she only did it for Young Women's!" And you're bunch really did look great. I think everyone had a good time!
Glad they had a good time.
ps, I wear socks with sandals all the time...but only when I'm driving. Then I have a pile of mostly-clean socks in the car because I take them off to go into the store/mall/restaurant/work where ever. It's the curse of cold feet.
Amy, I just have to tell you that I've done that, but I have also forgotten to take them off.
Jamie,
I totally don't get why Mark didn't dress up for that.
Matthew
Rachel is the cutest nerd ever!
It was alot of fun! The activity turned out better than I thought it would. We had alot of eating activities and I was worried about too much, the laurels thought of them, but it turned out great and no one threw up. Love your daughters!
Post a Comment