In my dream Rachel was getting married next Monday. I was going through my cupboards finding extra dishes, utensils, etc. that she could take to set up house. I was feeling frustrated because it was coming up fast and she didn't seem to worried about getting anything ready. I kept saying to myself and Mark "I don't think she's ready for this!"
If you care to analyze my dream here's my reality this week....
Oddly enough, reality this week involves my other 2 daughters.
Reality #1
Carly: Mark took her to get her driver's license learner's permit Thursday. She passed and came home happily waving her official paper with the requisite bad picture. She promptly found a place for it in her new wallet which bears a dripping red heart and the words "my boyfriend is a vampire".
AAAHHHHH! She's sure she's ready for this but I'm not sure I'm ready for this. Now begins the 30 hours of driving time with a parent that she is supposed to accrue this semester before she can do her road training with her driver's training teacher. We've logged our first 5 minutes driving to her friends house yesterday. I'm happy to report that she's slow and careful. *Insert sigh of relief*
Samantha: A boy said something extremely inappropriate to Samantha last week. He is always saying rude things but this one was especially awful. She told me about it and how uncomfortable it made her so I told her she should tell her teacher on Friday as the teacher has a little interview with each student about their behavior that week. She said she'd try. She did and the boy had to go talk to the principal and call his parents and tell them what he said. ( Problem is, I'm not sure these parents care all that much.... )
Because of that incident and some others, Samantha's class had to have a talk about "Sexual harassment". From what Samantha said, her teacher handled it really well but Samantha said the talk made her feel very uncomfortable. Her definition of "sexual harassment" is feeling uncomfortable by what someone is saying. In complete seriousness and extreme cuteness she proclaimed "I felt like I was being sexually harassed while we were having the class discussion!!!" I hate that she has to hear about stuff like this so young. I am glad, however, that it is being addressed, since it is happening. She and I both don't think she's ready for this but ready she must be because the world is what it is. *insert sigh of defeat*
7 comments:
What a crazy dream but even crazier that Carly is DRIVING??? Whaaaa??
RE: Samantha. That's horrible that she had this experience, but absolutely wonderful that she knows she can talk to you about it. What a blessing. I hope to have the same kind of relationship with my daughter.
My favorite "sexual harassment" moment in the workplace: Everyone who worked for the county had to attend a one hour lecture about sexual harassment. Our presenter had his fly down and no one could stop snickering long enough to tell him!
Wow! I wish the world weren't as it is and cringe at the things my girls will have to deal with. I guess I am grateful that it is here in Utah where things are a bit better. I do see the difference in what my kids experience and what their cousins do in other states that the standards are so high. I am sorry Samantha had to go through that, maybe she should give that naughty boy a big wedgie!
I'm just trying to get my noggin around Carly REALLY TRULY being old enough to get a driver's lic. She didn't ask ME if she could get this old!!!!!!
I will share some of my OLD stuff when Rachel sets up housekeeping...just not NOW!!!!
Oh Samantha, what a different world you have than I did. I know, I know,Gma Is 'the old gal' but I didn't even know about such stuff till a much older age. To "simit" (wrd ver.) all up: "It justs thucks!, Whadda ya mean I didn't say Butt or anything!" GMA C
I had to deal with that last year. One of my second graders told another one that he wanted to have sex with her. I couldn't believe it.
AHHH!!! Can we just lock them all up and protect them from the world? 3rd grade is too young... too young!!! She is a lucky girl that she has such a great relationship with her mom! ... and for the rest of us that live in your neighborhood we all need to lock up our kids to protect them from Carly driving. ha ha
Dream Doctor to the rescue! You know how I read about dream interpetations. I find it most interesting. I'm a modern day Joseph no doubt. Here's my take: Whenever someone close to us is going through a change (moving away, getting a job, DRIVING, or even be harrassed) our dreams sometimes involve them dying because that part of them dies as the older self imerges. Getting married would be an advancement in life (like death). I think Rachel was the one in the dream because she was the daughter without a current crisis. Your subconcious is asking. "What's next? Rachel getting married!"
I can see how you must feel though, Carly driving!!! Good luck with all a dat! And I too hate that we have to be so frank with our kids sometimes. Like Jacob in the BofM hating that such frankness had to be used around tender wives and chilren, but like you said, the world is what it is, and we must deal. HF knew this was the world we'd be in and I think he made these latter day spirits stronger to handle it. What my mom drops her jaw at is what is common place today. But that 2nd grader in Jennafer's class...how uncalled for is that?
Least there is always humor, that zipper being down is GOLD!
How awful for Samantha. Girl, I am never ready for that kind of talk either.
Carly....YaY!!! I am so excited. Be gentle on your parents, they're awesome!
Post a Comment