Thursday, January 28, 2010

improvisation

So I was planning on making Hawaiian haystacks the other night. I had my cooked chicken defrosted, I had my rice cooking and oops! I opened Cream of mushroom soup instead of cream of chicken. I can't waste so I switched gears and just made a hamburger gravy with some precooked hamburger I had in the freezer.

I shelved the chicken for tonight but don't feel like hawaiian haystacks now as it would be awfully similar to the meal we just had involving rice and gravy...

I'm tapped. I got nothin. no ideas.

I'm hoping you all will help me out with some fabulous dinner ideas involving precooked chicken.

Send me your thoughts, your ideas, your recipes! Save my family from a mheh meal tonight.

please.....

8 comments:

Amy Sorensen said...

You could make:

chicken tacos (toss the chicken into a pan with some hot chicken broth and a little bit of butter until it's all soft and mmmm-y, then mix in some taco seasoning)

chicken pot pie (my personal favorite thing to do with pre-cooked chicken; you need a pie crust and some frozen veggies and some chicken or white gravy, then bake as you would a fruit pie)


chicken salad sandwiches (mmmmm)

your regular pasta salad with chicken tossed in (plus extra mayo to make up for that chicken dryness)

fettuchini alfredo with chicken

good luck...I am working tonight so my kids will be having leftovers!

Maursupial said...

if you have white beans and green chiles you should make the turkey chili in the family cook book. I just made it with chicken this Sunday and it was Amazing!!

Christy said...

Chicken enchiladas? That yummy casserole with almonds,rice,boiled egg?

Karla said...

What about your chicken crescents? Those are good!! We often have chicken tacos or chicken quesadillas. Or maybe you could have chicken pancakes. lol Chicken salad sandwhiches? Chicken noodle soup... although I don't have a recipe for any such soup except opening up a can. Those are all my brilliant ideas. Too bad you didn't have any shrimp skews left over from the weekend you could serve. lol :)

Judy said...

Hey Jamie, my brother-in-law makes a mean burrito using pre-cooked chicken (cut it up or shred), steamed broccoli, cooked rice (ok, you'd be having it again but it's in a wrapping, right?), salsa, sour cream and cheese (in my case, LOTS of cheese). Could you use or improve on something like that ...?

Jenafer Lowe said...

Ummm...Jamie! I can't believe you didn't think of Chinese Chicken Salad! One of my FAVORITE things to do with pre cooked chicken! We have it all the time! Love you, hope your dinner was amazing, I'm sure it was! Just like you!

Emily said...

I'm dying of the suspense Jamie! What did you feed you family tonight?

Wendy said...

Whatever you decide, I want to come over for dinner. :)

I am loving all of those ideas.

The chicken soup I made today is another idea!