Friday, May 21, 2010

Shoyu Chicken

Shoyu chicken (pronounced "show you chicken" )


This recipe is from my friend Heather. When she announces that she is making "shoyu chicken" for dinner her husband can not resist saying "show you what!?" .... every time....... She says it never gets old.



1 whole chicken cut up or 2-3 lbs leg and thigh meat


sauce: 1 C soy sauce

1 C italian dressing

1/2 C sugar


boil sauce ingredients in pan til sugar dissolves. add chicken pieces. Reduce heat, cover, simmer 15 minutes, turn chicken over, simmer 15 minutes, turn chicken over, simmer 15 minutes, turn chicken over, simmer 15 minutes. serve over rice.


This is SO good. This recipe has doubled the sauce because I like a lot of sauce. The original recipe calls for 1/2 C soy, 1/2 C Italian and 1 C sugar. The sugar has been cut down in the doubled batch and that's the only way I've made it upon recommendation from my friend Heather. I used a whole chicken and cut the breasts in small strips. If you make this with white meat only it will not be as flavorful but if you are a white meat fanatic definitely cut it into smaller stips so they soak up the flavor. I wouldn't recommend using a light or fat free italian dressing. You need the oil in the dressing.


If you try it. let me know what you think!


P.S. I serve this with rice. I can't believe I forgot to add that. Next time I thought I'd slice up some carrot coins to add to the simmering sauce.

4 comments:

Amy Sorensen said...

That sounds good...and easy!

Do you serve it with rice?

Jamie said...

I do serve it with rice. I can't believe I didn't add that....
That's why I double the sauce. Because it's so good on the rice. next time I'm going to add sliced carrot coins to the sauce to simmer with the chicken. I think that would be good too.

Mom and Dad said...

I'm trying it today for 2:00 lunch, or later...It might not be right as the only Italian I had was Zesty. Will let you know the verdict from your dad! smells good!

Mom and Dad said...

It tasted good; but too sweet. When I make it again, I'll cut the sugar by half, I think. The Zesty Italian gave it a good flavor. I thought it was a good recipe...a keeper!