Monday, September 1, 2008

Smells to remember her by



My mom went to Wyoming recently to visit her mom.  My Grandma is in a care center right now and is 99 yrs old.  She always told me she made a deal with Heavenly Father that if he'd allow her to live to be 100,  she'd work as hard as she could on family history.   Whenever Mom and her sisters go visit they work a little at mucking out the house that Grandma loves but is not likely ever to return to and figuring out what to do with all Grandma's "stuff".  How long did Grandma live in that house mom? It must be at least 40-50 years at least.   

Mom called to see if I wanted a plant holder made entirely of shells I brought Grandma from Hawaii when I went to BYU-Hawaii in 1991.  It was nice to be asked but No, I did not.  I did want something of hers however  so I said "if you can, bring me something that will remind me of her, but please, definitely not the indian maiden plates hanging on the wall or the metal peacocks ... but something!"   She brought me the perfect something! A lap-sized blanket crocheted by Grandma in the exact blue of my bedroom walls.  It even smelled like Grandma's house when I got it. Happy memories flooded my mind.  After a few days on the chair in my bedroom I went to smell it again  and it only smelled like fresh air since it's right by our open window.  I was disappointed.  It was foolish to think it would always smell of grandma's house but I really imagined it would.  Like it would hold on to her for me.  

What was that smell anyway? knitting needles, crochet hooks, yarn, Sheafs of geneology research, binders full of grandpa's stories, binders filled with Grandma's life history, cedar shavings, bottled fruit 30 years old, birds, gingersnaps and keebler fudge striped cookies,mugs of hot jell-o on a snowy day,  home-brewed buttermilk, books, books, books, chloroformed butterflies in beautiful gold boxes, herbs, pink cosmos & Hollyhocks, fuschia 4 o'clocks, sun-warmed potting soil in glass terrariums, tiny toads, Black dusty irrigation hoses, someone teaching, someone learning  and love, always love.  


5 comments:

Maursupial said...

Jamie,
We are in tune sister. I blogged about what Mom brought me today too, probably around the same time you did. We must be sisters or something.

Maursupial said...

And I know that smell. I can't describe it, but I know it. Part yarn, part mildew, part medicine, all love.

The Bingham Family said...

If you ever want a sniff of Grandma's house come over and take a whiff of my coat closet. I have all the jackets she knitted for Emily and I when we were little stored in there and the smell never seems to leave. Yesterday I opened it for the first time in a while and was surprised for a second. I opened and shut it a few times. It made me smile.

Wendy said...

Beautiful, Jamie! I'm so glad you got the blanket and not the peacocks! :) Really, it looks like a blanket full of memories.

Christy said...

I agree about the Indian plates, but I want the peacocks. I love them. I don't know what I'd do with them, but I love them! They remind me of Grandma so much. I have some things she's knitted and they are just seeped in that smell. I don't know if it's the yarn or what, but it's grandma! I also have a pink noisemaker...how about them apples? I could share with your kids....