I noticed that I haven't posted about Jacob in a while so Today is his day!
This kid had a great memory! He loves to read fact books and remembers them. He came to my bathroom to fix his hair and saw a book sitting on my bathtub titled "Elizabeth". "Is that about Queen Elizabeth?" he asked. "It is"I replied, she was the Queen of England a long time ago". "I know. Shakespeare did all his plays while she was Queen." How many 9 yr olds know that?
He got a new bike for his birthday and he LOVES being able to ride without his knees knocking into his chin. His last bike was a gift on his 5th Birthday and he has been riding it without complaint but it was getting a bit small. His new bike is a nice one! We cleaned the carpets for a bike shop on trade so Mark picked out a shiny bright blue Trek bike for him. We have WAY too many goathead sticker plants in our neighborhood so he's already had a couple flat tires but Mark has fixed them right away so he's been able to keep flying.
He was so excited to get his new glasses this summer right before school started but the excitement has worn off. I have been asking him every day after school... "Did you wear your glasses at school today?" His answer was always "Yes!" I went into the school last week to talk to his teacher about something and my mom instincts made me ask "Has Jacob been wearing his glasses regularly in class?" The teacher gave me a BLANK STARE and replied, "He has glasses????"
About 2 weeks ago on a Friday afternoon Jacob came home from school grimacing in pain and said he had an accident on the playground right before it was time to come home. He was playing on the playground: some game involving stealth and running I am sure, and one boy jumped from the slide above landing on his collarbone and then he slammed into the slide next to him, hitting his collarbone area again. He told his teacher. She sent him to the office. They said "It looks like it might be broken, how far is it to your home?" He replied, "Not far" and so she just sent him home. I was a little upset that they didn't call at least to tell me he was hurt and ask if I wanted to come get him or should he just walk home. Mark looked at him and said "yep! It's broken. I've seen lots of broken collarbones" We called the doctor, they told us to come right in. We got there, he was examined and the Dr. Said "yep! it's broken! Go to the hospital and get x-rays so we know how bad" We went to the hospital. He was x-rayed. We took the x-ray back to the Dr. office. He studied it. He studied it. He studied it. He couldn't see a break. So Jacob was sent home with a sling and instructions to stay in from recess for the next week. The Diagnosis: A lot of tissue and ligament damage. Jacob couldn't even lift his arm above his head. He didn't change his shirt til Sunday. It slowly improved and by the Next Friday he was out of the sling and feeling fine. I said a prayer of Thanksgiving for all the cereal with MILK he eats EVERY DAY! I think this kid has some seriously strong bones. YEA!!!!
Today..... he was not feeling well and stayed home from school. Sometimes I feel like I'm being had when he acts sick in the morning. The coughs sound suspiciously forced and the groaning is a bit over done. Today was different. He had that look around his eyes; that sunken in, dark-circled look. He was sneezing and coughing and his stomach felt "Hot" in his words. He wasn't nauseous so I'm still not sure what that meant but he was definitely uncomfortable. He even slept for a couple hours after the kids left for school so I KNOW he was sick. He never sleeps during the day. He can go to bed later than anyone and pop up earlier than anyone with energy to spare. He seems to be back to normal tonight so I'm sure he just needed a day of rest to get back on track.
So.... That's a little of what Jake's been up to.
Today..... he was not feeling well and stayed home from school. Sometimes I feel like I'm being had when he acts sick in the morning. The coughs sound suspiciously forced and the groaning is a bit over done. Today was different. He had that look around his eyes; that sunken in, dark-circled look. He was sneezing and coughing and his stomach felt "Hot" in his words. He wasn't nauseous so I'm still not sure what that meant but he was definitely uncomfortable. He even slept for a couple hours after the kids left for school so I KNOW he was sick. He never sleeps during the day. He can go to bed later than anyone and pop up earlier than anyone with energy to spare. He seems to be back to normal tonight so I'm sure he just needed a day of rest to get back on track.
So.... That's a little of what Jake's been up to.
5 comments:
He's a fun kid! Have him stop by for his motorcycle ride.
Jake is such a good kid... we really enjoy him in our primary class... and yes, he is crazy smart and remembers EVERYTHING! I wish my brain worked that way. :)
Poor Jake looks like he feels awful in that last picture. I can NOT believe that he'd lie about being sick. Jake NEVER lies (he he). When I was there he asked me, 'Aunt Maury, what do you know about medieval weaponry?" I had to admit that I knew very little. Jake made sure to rectify that. What a kid!
I love reading about your family. You have some cool kids and you and Mark are very cool too. You are amazing!
Jake has been busy! What a great kid. Shocking that he would not wear his glasses or let the teacher know he was suppose to wear them!
Post a Comment