Jacob has been working on a Biography project for his ALL class called "Images of Greatness". Each student was to pick a famous American who had made positive contributions to our country. They've been reading biographies. They've had different assignments due every couple of weeks all through January, February and March on their subject. One week he made "William Clark's scrapbook". Another week he made a little movie of an event in William Clark's life. He had to take notes and turn them in. He had to write a Bio-riddle and memorize it so he could perform it at a special "Images of Greatness" evening. He was also to make a big display board showing William Clark's contributions, interesting facts, pictures, a quote either by or about his subject and a timeline of important events.
It's been interesting, fun and sometimes stressful to help Jacob get all his assignments done. He really wanted a "tricorn" hat for the performance of his Bio-riddle where he was supposed to dress up like his character. I was skeptical but told him to see if he could find a pattern online for a tricorn hat. He did and it was a good one. I told him we'd make it out of brown paper grocery sacks which he made a disappointed face about. He asked if we couldn't make it from leather. I refrained from laughing aloud and said "maybe.... MAYBE... we could make it from some brown felt I had in my material box... MAYBE!!! depending on how the paper one turned out"
Our paper one came together pretty easily and he was pretty happy with it but he was really pushing for the felt hat. It was bedtime so I sent him to bed with an "I'll see what I can do but I'm not promising anything"
surprisingly, I was excited to try it. It didn't feel like a "have to" but a "want to".
One of the difficult things about working is I have not had the energy to do the extra things I used to and I have spent so much time feeling overwhelmed and anxious about it all. The last month or so I've been getting a handle on those feelings and have been trying to find more "joy in the journey" more peace about what I can and can't do. I'm never going to get these moments with my kids back and I don't want to waste them.
I watched some shows I had recorded and just enjoyed figuring out how to make the hat work from the paper to the felt. I had to sew it as the glue was not working like it did on the paper so it took a little longer but I was so pleased with how it turned out and Jacob is always so appreciative of my efforts. I set it on the table, excited to see his face the next morning.

Here's my paper prototype and the finished product. I added an inch to the brim all the way around on the felt one. It just didn't seem long enough on the paper one.

With his display board...
and performing his Bio-riddle. He had a little trouble with feedback so be warned there's some screeching. Don't put your volume up too high. He handled it well however, he didn't let it upset him and finished up his performance.
(disclaimer: filming by Samantha)
In Jacob's movie project about William Clark's pre-exploration, militia days, Mason played the poor indian who was killed about 3 times by the militia. The "screenplay" called for several indians to be involved but Jake didn't get as many friends over as he wanted and Samantha who had agreed to play an indian was at her friends house playing so Mason played one bad-to-the-bone indestructible indian. Rachel filmed the project and helped him edit. It turned out really cute but I don't know how to load it here. I guess I need to figure out how to load it onto Youtube so I can link it here. anyhoo... here's my wild indian who LOVES posing for the camera.




3 comments:
I remember those displays. I have one more child to do. Very cute, love it. He did a great job!
Awesome! I'm a big fan of Clark. Great job Jacob. (By the way, Jamie, that boy is getting handsomer by the day!) I wonder who I would do a report on... Matthew would do his on Teddy Roosevelt.
Jamie, you're a good mom. Good thing that Jake didn't have too bad a time with the microphone feedback.
When I was in 4th grade I did a bio report and dressed as Orson Wells, because he had recently died. I didn't dress up as the cool younger Orson Wells, either; I dressed as the fat, bearded, and emphysema-afflicted Orson Wells (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Orson_Wellesold.gif). I remember being so excited to tell everyone about the War of the Worlds, but when I stood up and had to give my speech through a big cotton-fluff white beard and no one could understand me, I felt pretty bad. Also, when Nancy Wilson's daughter stood up in her awesome true-to life period costume of Harriet Tubman (with professional make-up) I felt kinda dumb. But... so did everyone (except Samantha). I wish I knew then what I know now-- that no one cares, except maybe your own parents and they like you anyway.
Way to go, Jake. Lookin' good, man! I hope he's excited to hang with the Lowes this summer.
Post a Comment