Sunday, April 19, 2009

A little holiday desperation turns out to be a good thing.

My Easter menu was:
Ham
Rainbow Jello
Easter Rolls
Christy's glazed carrots
strawberry bottom pie
baked potatoes

I became disenchanted with the idea of baked potatoes on sunday morning... A little last minute for menu changes.... I KNOW!

I couldn't do mashed potatoes with no gravy...

Mark had suggested on Saturday twice baked potatoes~ but with working on the rolls, pies and jello I knew I would not have time or energy leftover for twicebaked potatoes. ....

He then suggested scalloped potatoes but the answer for me was the same... time, energy...making a white sauce, blah blah blah.. layering...

Carly suggested funeral potatoes but nobody likes them but the adults and Carly......

I had settled for baked but that just seemed to boring for a holiday dinner.....

what to do?????

I decided on a whim to make something up.....

I have a recipe called "speedy spuds" I copied from my college roommate, Sharla, back in Harmony house, Rexburg Idaho. In that recipe you melt 1/4 C butter/margarine in a 13x9 pan. Next, you fill that pan up with sliced potatoes, skin on. You sprinkle them with season salt and stir them up to get the potatoes evenly coated and put them in the oven at 400 degrees. You have to stir them every 20 min or so and they take an hour or so to get done. I knew I couldn't do that because I would be at church and couldn't stir them every 20 min. I didn't want to cook them when I got home because we didn't want to wait that long to eat.... hmmmm... I saw 2 little unused boxes of cream in the fridge.... I got an idea......

I call them "Desperation Easter Potatoes"

I scrubbed and sliced 12 medium potatoes.
I put them in a large roasting pan (like a lasagna pan, bigger than 13x9)
I sprinkled them with season salt and poured one pint of cream over it all.

I knew I was taking a chance with my holiday dinner by trying something completely new and untried, Something fiendishly easy and quick.

but seriously folks, how WRONG could it be with a pint of cream in the equation?

I mixed it all up and covered them with foil and set the time bake setting on the oven.

I cooked them for 2 hrs at 350 degrees, stirred them up after church and let them cook for 30 more minutes so 2 1/2 hrs total. They were SOOOOO good. Some were well done and crunchy, all were tender and yummy. Everyone loved them and they will probably be our Easter potatoes every year. They go really well with ham.

It was lovely to sit down to a dinner that everyone loved. I got NO looks, NO groans, No sad sulking and staring at dinner plates, NO hubby grumbling about trying out a new recipe on him. In fact all I got were compliments after compliments. Jacob even admitted the carrots weren't terrible. That's something.


9 comments:

Maursupial said...

Wait a second... your kids don't like FUNERAL POTATOES???? Seriously, that's like anti-American... no wait, ANTI-MORMON!!

Da Browns said...

For real, I agree with Maury, you need to whip those crazy kidos into shape...I mean they've got CHEESE in them!!!

And I hear that a lot around here "well it's not terrible"...but you'll notice my hubs isn't exactly wasting away!

Amanda said...

It was soo good to spend the day with you guys!! Love you & miss you all tons.

Christy said...

Those potatoes sound YUMMY!!! I do however LOVE the funeral potato with ham. I am so impressed with your inventiveness. It's like your channelling Gma Cox, but in a good way!

Christy said...

I'm just glad I got a nod at Easter and that MY carrots are living on top of the bookshelf next to the green beans!!

Jamie said...

Maury/mer: funeral potatoes.. I know, right!!! But see besides the cheese they have all these other flavors mixed in and thats where they go from bliss to blah for my kiddo's. Someday they will become refined and love the dignified funeral potatoes. someday. maybe at my funeral....

mer: I can see you feel my pain. I mean how hard is it to say, That was good. Isn't that pretty close to the same meaning as "well, it's not terrible"

Amanda: ditto. I had a great time. You lifted me out of my snowed during spring break blues and did I tell you that your hair looks absolutely gorgeous?? well, it does!

Christy: you made me laugh with the channelling comment. I know I've been compared to her before... but not with that little happy twist "in a good way". I think I frightened many of you with my squash waffles! and your carrots better NOT be living up on the top shelf with the green beans. I'll have to stand at the top of the stairs and check now...

Amy Sorensen said...

Exactly one-half of my tribe doesn't like cheese potatoes either. That's OK, though, because then I have way more leftovers. Whenever I eat them I wonder if I want them to be served at my funeral because I LOVED them so much, or if I want everyone to NOT eat them at my funeral based on the fact that I am not there to enjoy them with them??? ;) I can't decide.

At any rate, your potatoes sound delicious and I am personally impressed that you had a pint of cream just waiting to be used. I would have already snuck some on my cream of wheat.

Amy Sorensen said...

ps, Kaleb will only eat ham if I tell him it's pink turkey. "Ham" is the H word if we're around Kaleb. We just don't say it!

Emily said...

Jamie, my kids don't like funeral potatoes either - too much mystery sauce. More for me!

Your Easter dinner puts mine to shame. Thanks for the recipe for the potatoes - I'll have to try it! & have you shared your strawberry bottom pie recipe? Is it in the family cookbook? That sounds so good now that the weather's warm!

Christy, your glazed carrots are a favorite of mine & my family!