Thursday, April 30, 2009

Red Bean & Rice

So I was looking for something new and easy to do with smoked sausage 
(If you've never tried it the lower fat Turkey Kielbasa is really good)  I found this recipe on allrecipes.com which is a great site for new recipes.  I have found several keepers on that site when I've looked at a piece of meat and been bored with my regular recipes.  You can put "smoked sausage" in the search box and recipes will start coming up with that ingredient.  The thing I really like about the site are the comments by people who have tried the recipe.  They often make really helpful suggestions like "It was good but a little on the bland side so I added more garlic".  This is the recipe for "Red Beans and Rice" that I tried this week. I adjusted it a little to make it go far enough for my family so the recipe I'm posting is different than you'll find on the site.  This fed 7 people.

Red Beans and Rice

1 package smoked sausage, sliced in rounds
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 tsp garlic
2 8 oz cans of tomato sauce
2 15 oz cans of Kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 tsp oregano

6 C water
3 C white rice

1. Bring water to a boil.  Add rice.  Let boil hard one minute, lower heat to low. cover with lid and cook on low for 20 minutes.

2.  Place sliced sausage in large skillet.  Fry on medium high til browned nicely, about 5 min.If you use a regular sausage instead of a lower fat one there's quite a bit of grease in the pan.  I took a paper towel and blotted up most of the oil.  Then and add diced onion and pepper & garlic.  Sautee til soft.  Add tomato sauce and beans & oregano and simmer for 20 min.

3. Serve red beans & sausage over rice. (or next to rice if your ages 5-10)

Really liked it:
Mark, Jamie, Carly, Mason

Thought it was ok but ate it...
Samantha and Rachel

Didn't like it AT ALL
Jacob (big surprise eh?)

6 comments:

Judy said...

Yeah, I really like allrecipes.com too. The additional comments are the best part! That's how I found my best-ever turkey pot pie recipe and my favorite tomato basil soup. Sounds like your new meal was basically a hit. If you ever want to get adventurous (and have some time to spend in the kitchen), you should try Ruth's jambalaya - it uses smoked sausage (and either chicken or shrimp too, I think). We can get you the recipe if you want it.

Maursupial said...

I have never thought "What can I do with smoked sausge."

Also, I think if Jacob ever DOES like something you might die of shock and we wouldn't want that to happen.

Mom and Dad said...

I went to the allrecipes.com and found all the recipes that sound luchious and I can't have like the tomato basil soup...I started Weight Watchers this past Tues. I've been being a very very good girl! Mom

Amy Sorensen said...

Can I just say...the wrap-up of who liked and who didn't? Totally cracked me up. In my house it would only be "Kendell and Amy" under the "liked" category. My children are NOT fans of beans in any form.

Except the pureed form, when they don't know they're actually EATING beans! ;)

Jamie said...

Well Maurs,
When you have 7 mouths to feed and you get a deal on smoked sausage... you buy it up and THEN figure out what to do with it. We all like it anyway but I usually just fry it with potatoes or fry it and put BBQ sauce in it and serve it w/rice... Now Red beans and rice is on the menu as well.

Amy- I loved the pureed beans in the recipe you posted recently. You do what you can to keep 'em healthy and put what you like in it too. Have I told you about how I got caught pureeing tomatoes about 15 years ago and MARK still checks the trash everytime we have spaghetti... *sigh*

Good job mom on W.W. I will cheer you on and try to be as motivated as you.

judy: it would have to be sausage and chicken. I am NOT a shrimp girl. Mark wishes I was....

Julie said...

That sounds yummy! I really need your motivation to cook. HELP!!!!!!!