Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Baking gone bad

Top view...

Bottom view...
Side view and quite possibly the WORST view..

This view is also a horrific reminder of a man Carly and I saw in walmart once... Think of the pan rim as a waistband and the bread as a fleshy, very large gut hanging over the top, free of the confines of his too-short t-shirt, and you'll know why Carly is scarred for life. Sometimes she looks at me, shudders and says "remember that guy at walmart" I'm afraid she's got Big Man Belly PTSD. I know, I know... maybe he can't help it and I'm okay with that. Got a little big belly thing going myself. But I keep it to myself. We're not judging the gut, only the hanging free part. *shudder*
The "how do I get this monstrosity out of the pan" view...

The "anyone hankering for a hunk of bread?" view..
We're still not quite sure what happened....
Carly has been baking bread to earn money for girl's camp. She's had several successful loaves but I think these were placed too close together in the oven and maybe rose a little too long or SOMETHING- because this one just gave up and laid right down in the oven.

Maybe it has swine flu....
Maybe it lost it's retirement in the stock market...
whatever the case, it is not a hopeful loaf.
It is a sad, sad loaf.


9 comments:

Karen Brothersen said...

That was one of the funniest posts you have ever done! I loved the pics, the walmart guy, swine flu etc...
However, I must tell you. I am now thinking twice about Carly baking my bread. I don't want some dudes belly at my house! ha ha

j.k. for girls camp, I will endure! :)

Jamie said...

now that would have been a good post title "some dude's belly". ick.

don't think twice!!!! Did you notice the perfectly shaped loaf sitting right next to the monstrosity?????

She is capable of making beautiful loaves.. ask Allison! :)

Karla said...

I say just rub some butter on that floppy bread that didn't turn out, squeeze a bit of honey on it or spread some jam on it, and eat it on up! (maybe even some spinich dip to dip it in?) Looks isn't everything. Sometimes the outside isn't all that great, but it is what you are made of that is good, right! That poor bread is just as good as the next one, just not as beautiful on the outside, it still has worth. LOL I must say, I haven't seen bread like that, but I have seen people like that guy you were describing, I worked at a truckstop, they frequented there. Holes in their thin worn out white (now transparent mostly) shirts that are too short, belly falling out over their pants, missing teeth, sometimes combined with a distinctive smell... I then would be sure to tell them we have showers for $4 in case they weren't aware!

Emily said...

Carly is fantastic. I made bread for the first time in my life like 2 years ago, so I am totally impressed.

& thank you for the mental picture Jamie. What a way to start my day, with "some dude's belly."

:)

Christy said...

This is not good PR for Carly's bread making fundraiser! Maybe you should of taken the bullet for her.That's what a good mom would do...

Wendy said...

That is SO funny!! It still looked like it tastes good, gut notwithstanding.

Judy said...

Hey! That reminds me - I pulled a ticket for Carly's bread too. I'd claim the misshapen loaf (I feel a kinship, but like Carly, I keep it TO MYSELF, or try to ...) So am I too late to hand in my tickie?

Jamie said...

judy, you are certainly NOT too late but we will give you a perfect loaf because you are worthy of a perfect loaf my friend. just give her a call. She has to make another batch of bread this week so we can include you in that baking.

Sorry Em!

karla, wow. Remind me to never let my daughter's work at a truck stop...
We ripped up the bread, stuffed it in a bag and it's just waiting for my kids to gobble it up. They're always ripping their bread up anyway so it's already pre-ripped.

Christy,
you're right, maybe I should have taken one for the team. It is what a good mom would have done....

Christy said...

I love that nothing goes to waste at your house-ripped up bread-handme downs all welcome at the Bocanegras. You are also like that with friends and neighbors-all are welcomed and loved!