Thursday, May 14, 2009

#5 turns 6

Mason turned 6 Wednesday.  6 years since my last epidural.  6 years since I felt little feet kicking inside me.  6 years since my last contraction.  6 years since I actively used words like cervix, dilated & Braxton Hicks.   6 years since I heard the magical words "It's  a boy!!!".  6 years....  It doesn't seem possible but here we are.  My baby just keeps growing up.  

To celebrate~ he decided , after some lively discussion, to have a Rocket Cake and a Rocket party.

I really like making birthday cakes.  Family Fun magazine is my "go to source" for birthday cakes I'm capable of creating.  There has definitely been a learning curve.  My first 2 attempts at creative cakes were absolute disasters.   Rachel's 3rd birthday I tried to make a dog.... I didn't know you had to freeze the cake when you cut and shape, to make it easier to frost.   I didn't even have a big enough freezer to get a cake into back then. I had never heard of a "crumb coat".  I finally gave up trying to frost the sides and finished the top and took "aerial" photos strategically from above...   For Carly's 5th birthday I tried to make a barbie cake.  You know where you cook the cake in a bowl, stick a barbie in the top and decorate the cake like her dress??? I didn't know you were supposed to use a pyrex bowl.... I used a metal bowl and it just wouldn't cook right.  The cake was gooey in the middle and thick, dry and hard on the outside.  I turned it upside down and plunked the barbie in anyway.  Frosted it up with pink frosting and "voila" my first barbie cake.  I kept trying anyway, despite my less-than-spectacular early attempts.  Many years later,  I've got 3 race car track cakes, 2 pony cakes, 2 beehive cakes, a mad scientist cake, a volcano cake, panda cupcakes, bird cupcakes, a couple of dinosaur cakes, an airplane cake and many others under my belt and I'm feeling pretty confident about my birthday cake creating abilities.  

A couple weeks ago Mason and I  got the folder where we keep all our birthday cake ideas out and began looking.  He pulled out a monkey cake, looked at it thoughtfully and asked "can you make that?"  "Yes, I can", I replied, beginning to calculate how many fruit roll-ups, tootsie rolls and candy bananas I'd need.  He tosses it down on the table and says "Nope, I don't want it.... can you make a window cake?"  "A window cake?????  I guess I could."  My mind is trying to wrap itself around the idea of a window cake when he pulls out a volcano cake.  "Can you make this?" he asks.  "yes!" I said, happily dismissing the window cake idea.  He throws it down.  "Nope, don't want it.... Can you make a door cake?"  "what??? a door cake?????  I guess I could"  

I decided at this point I was going to end up making a very boring window or door cake, possibly even an air conditioner cake if I didn't take control of this conversation.  I found this cake and really started pushing the idea of a whole "rocket party" based on the cake.   After a few minutes, he was sold and I breathed a sigh of relief.  I mean who wants to make a door cake???? That's just weird.  Still trying to figure out where he was going with that.


He helped me mix the cake and bake it.  We cut it and shaped it the next morning and slipped it into the freezer.  After school that night we stayed up after the rest of the kids went to bed and frosted it and decorated it.  He had lots of ideas!!!!  

We planned a simple party at the park after school for an hour.  We went over who he wanted to invite and I was THRILLED he wanted to keep it small.  I was afraid he'd want to invite his whole class but he named 5 of his  " best friends".  This included 2 boys from his school class, 2 neighbor girls who are a little younger than he is and another good friend from primary.   

It turned out great.  Mark was able to come so our whole family was there.  The kids just played at the park while we waited for everyone to arrive.  When all the party guests were there we sang happy birthday, tried to light the cake, 
the wind wouldn't let us.... we took a fake "blowing out the candles" picture and started cutting the cake.  
One little boy from Mason's school class took a bite of his cake and in his earnest little lispy voice exclaimed, 
"Mrs. B, Did you make this cake in heaven cuz' it "thure" "tastths" like it!!!"

Oh my goodness.  How do you respond to that??  He totally made my day.  I know he might have heard it somewhere else but it was delivered with intense sincerity.  So cute.  


We played "Rocket Tag" and "blast off" (duck duck goose replacing duck duck with random numbers and goose with blast off) and then played at the park til parents got there.  

It was fun, cheap, easy and a success.  

I feel bad for my younger kids because I used to put so much more effort into planning the older kids parties when they were this age but I don't have the same time and/or energy I used to.  I whined to my sister Christy about this fact and she was kind to let me off the hook with this sage advice "They don't KNOW they're getting the short end of the stick.  They're still having fun! Don't worry about it"  I was only too eager to grab a hold of that philosophy and never look back.  

We came home and had his birthday dinner and I tucked the 3 little ones into bed.  I settled down with Mark to relax and watch American Idol when he comes rushing downstairs urgently stating "I get to stay up late because it's my birthday!!!!"

I reminded him he got to stay up late the night before with his cake and he needed to get to bed now.  He begged and I gave in saying, "10 more minutes, that's it!".  He was happy to accept my terms and he snuggled into my arms.  About 5 minutes later he was so completely asleep you couldn't wake him at all.  Carly gathered him up in her arms and carried him to bed.  



Good night Birthday boy.  Til next year.......



7 comments:

Karla said...

SIX! Wow! Cool cake by the way. That turned out really good. I need to do the whole cake folder/book so it is easier when we look for birthday cakes. I have 3 cakes for this month... the twins and Sammie will be one next Friday! Can't believe she is one, can't imagine how it will be when my baby Samantha will be 6. I hope the time goes really......... S L O W ! ! Although I doubt it will. (sigh) Great job on the birthday party!! Your Awesome! Miss ya!

Christy said...

The cake looks like it's ready to FLY. Great job. Sounds like everyone had a fun time-maybe even you. Isn't it amazing the things you can learn-remember our "cake decorating" classes at the senior center in DHS-You've come a long way baby!

Maursupial said...

It's hard to believe our little Mason is six years old. I love that cake, and am in awe of your abilities once again. You are the most rockin mom I've ever known.

Amy Sorensen said...

HOLY COW. You did a great job on the cake! And your opening paragraph totally made me SNIFF. I think the happiest bits of my life were my pregnancies. Dang.

At any rate, I have to say I hear you on the birthday party thing. I used to put way more effort into them. Now...not so much. Can't we wait until next year? I always feel so inadequate, and unsure of exactly what to do, and just...I don't know. I have Birthday Party Issues and if I could somehow revive the part of me who used to be excited over parties, well then...well, I don't know. What really WOULD happen if I became the Fabulous Birthday Party Mother? Would my children's lives be changed for the better? I'm not sure!

Jamie said...

birthday parties are not going to change their lives. I'm certain. I think, for me, it's that I used to have so much fun planning and doing the parties that I really put a lot into it. I was having FUN. Now... I am more tired, there's more going on and it's harder to make the time, find the money, etc.. it's not as fun and I feel like I've set the bar and now can't live up to it...

THat's why I REALLY appreciated my sister sort of giving me permission in a way to just ease up on myself. Don't worry about what I've done before just do the best I can with what I can now. The kids aren't so worried so why do I need to worry. I don't.

I still DO like the cakes though. They're still fun.. unless I'm getting hit with window/door cakes that is....

Wendy said...

The picture of Mason asleep is so sweet. Ayden keeps asking how she is going to marry him if we move. She told me she is going to move back here all by herself. I told her maybe she could wait til college and they could go to the same place. She thought that sounded like a good plan.

Jennifer said...

That little boy who asked if you'd made the cake in heaven, oh my, the girls better watch out for his pick up lines when he's older.
If sounds as if Mason had a wonderful birthday. Oh my can he be 6 already? That means my baby will be six in no time. Love you all.