Friday, May 22, 2009

How to know if your kids are watching too much iCarly....


My kids love a Nickelodeon show called iCarly.  It's about 3 kids, Sam (girl), Carly & Freddie who are best friends who do their own webshow whilst living a sitcom's version of a normal teenage life.  It's a little over the top and silly and I actually enjoy it.  I have only sat down with them to watch it a couple of times but I hear it and catch moments while I'm cooking dinner, cleaning, doing mom stuff..  Sam is characterized as coming from a rough home and you never see her family you just hear about her mom being in or out of jail and they talk about how if Sam didn't have Carly and Freddie she'd probably end up in Juvie as she tends towards wanting to solve her problems with force...

Lately I've been wondering if we're watching a little too much iCarly........


#1
Your 2nd grader's teacher stops you in the hall and laughingly (thank goodness) relates an incident from class.  

Miss P:
"I was talking to all the children about "settings" for our upcoming fairy tale writing project.  I wanted them to understand the importance of describing where your characters are for the reader.  I was asking for suggestions of "settings" we could use in our stories.  I saw Samantha raising her hand and I just KNEW I could count on her to have a good answer to help the group, so I called on her. 
 
"Juvie!"  

I was confused for a moment and said questioningly, "Juvie?" 

 Samantha shrugs her shoulders and holds out her hands in the classic "you know.. gesture" and replies, "you know... juvenile hall"

#2  Mason requests a Carly, Sam & Freddie favorite, Spaghetti Tacos, for his birthday dinner......



 Spaghetti Tacos: (official recipe from iCarly)

Get Taco Shells

Get Spaghetti (with meat sauce)

Get a BIG Spoon

Use the BIG Spoon to put Spaghetti into the Taco Shells.

EAT!


"what? Noodles can't live happily in a hard corn shell?"

Although they were skeptical....
All three

of the girls

 liked them..

Other than Mark,
who did not choose to partake...

The boys loved them.... 

...And me?

I'd have to say they're  surprisingly...um... . ahem.... not so... um... terrible as they might seem. You know kids... you see, they goaded me into trying it too and well.... 


I liked it.







10 comments:

Stephanie Salmon said...

Ha ha, that's funny! My 4 year old little neice has advanced from Dora to iCarly. She says Dora is for little kids.

Emily said...

This sure is a cute & funny post for being up all night girl! Hmmm, spaghetti tacos... I think I'd like them too. Is there any way we could squeeze some more carbs into that entree? Maybe serve with breadsticks, now you're talkin'.

Jamie said...

Oh emily... I am in NO shape to post anything coherent. That was a previously scheduled post.... sometimes I get all creative and write 3-4 posts and then schedule the posting.

I am on the thin edge of coherency sistah. been dozing this morning trying to get kids out the door. why does there seem to be so many of them this morning. Did they multiply overnight? only one left now and he "graduates" in 2 hours so I better get my butt into the shower. tired as it might be.

Amanda said...

How funny! I like iCalry....most of the time. Spagetti taco, huh?! LoL!

Amanda said...

Up all night???

Judy said...

Hmmm, those actually look pretty darn interesting. Carbs galore - lots of energy boosting. I'm going to have to try it just for the fun of it (and I don't even have any kids!). Why were you up all night?

Mom and Dad said...

Hmmmmm, I keep trying to imagine Dad and I purposefully making iCarly spaghetti tacos...hmmmmmm, no, it just doesn't compute! Call me a weight watcher! Dad's lost 16 and me...only 11.

Jamie said...

way to go mom and dad... doesn't it make youcrazy how fast men lose weight whey you're trying just as hard.

all nighter details coming soon

Jennifer said...

One word: Ick!

Julie said...

Never thought of that