This kid turned 6 in May.
This Kid is in 1st Grade
This kid is so obviously the baby of the family.
He JUST learned to tie his shoes this week.
We have made it this far with the beauty of velcro and slip on tennis shoes.
I have made several half-hearted attempts on Sundays with his Sunday shoes but he's good at playing the incapable card and I'm good at being a tired worn-out mommy.
The rest of my kids knew by Kindergarten.
I purposely bought tennis shoes with laces this time. I figured it would be a rough couple of days but IT WAS TIME to get this skill down.
Amazingly~
my past efforts must have had a cumulative effect for he got it on the first try. He threw a fit one day & he refused to wear them and got out his old worn out slip-ons that are falling apart. I told him to get his new shoes on. He refused. I took his pyramid down (our discipline system: Accountability concepts; basically he lost all his priveleges for disobeying) but I didn't force the issue. I let him wear his old shoes and gave the consequence. He was back to being cooperative the next day and has become a pro at tying his new shoes.
We're both very happy to be up to grade level on shoe tying.
6 comments:
Good job Mason! Although I tend to agree that shoes with laces are overrated.
Great job Mason! I'm a big fan of velcro myself, but just can't bring myself to buy tennis shoes with any.
If anyone can figure out how to keep my shoes tied, they'd be my best friend. Annnnnd yes, I do double knot them. I can't figure it out, but they don't stay tied. So, Mason, I feel your pain.
That's awesome. Titus still can't tie his shoes. I have tried & tried. I think I will try the whole loss of priviledges, you never know. He might just not be motivated.
I would wait until you KNOW he can do it but he won't before loss of privileges. If they're still struggling to get it down it might just make matters worse. Just keep trying! :) Good luck.
Beth and Gwen each learned in 1st grade. So, if it has anything to do with being a baby,I expect (now our middle baby) Cate to learn in 2nd grade and new babe to learn about the time he graduates from high school.
Post a Comment