Thursday, October 29, 2009

Taking on Mother Nature


Yesterday it snowed. At least I think it was yesterday, it could have been the day before yesterday. My days are blurring together this week. Hopefully I'll get a chance to explain more about that later.
so anyhoo, at some point in the last 2 days it snowed....
Too early in the season I might add. I was really enjoying this beautiful fall we had going and then brrr.... wind, cold and snow!

I watched out the window of my classroom as the first little snowflakes swirled around. The intercom buzzed and music wafted through the airwaves....
"I've been dreaming of a white Christmas.."
and then our principal's voice came on the line stating that it wasn't quite Christmas yet but it was snowing but since it was so light it would still be an outside day for lunch recess. I enjoyed his sense of humor.

The next time I looked up it was a white-out and the intercom buzzed again. This time the principal was letting us know he was bringing them in. I shivered as I watched the kids moving inside the building. I was ever so grateful to be sitting safe and warm in my little section of the school and to NOT be the recess lady.

When I picked up Jacob from his school later that day he announced with a swagger in his voice, "My friend and I decided to challenge nature today! We did not wear our jackets at recess at all." He grinned at me and concluded, "Nature was not a worthy opponent!"

My mouth opened as the lecture started to formulate in my head about getting sick and staying warm, and weren't you freezing???...

But then I looked at his proud face, the confident square of his shoulders and shut it again. I smiled back instead.


3 comments:

Amanda said...

You go, Jacob. You have come a long way from using your pirate stare. ;) We will leave it to the young to challenge Mother's Nature without a coat. Keep us posted.

Wendy said...

Love that boy's spirit!

And good for you for smiling!

Emily said...

Why is it that nothing says tough like being cold? I got over that long ago. I break out my gloves, coat, scarf & warm socks at the first sign of chill here in Southern Utah. Oh, it snowed here the other day too! Crazy! & that picture of Jake is too cool.