Monday, October 12, 2009

The birds and the bees

I'm at work with a table of 4 4th grade girls. We're working hard at mastering math facts. I call one girl to task for zoning out and not asking for a new number card to keep working. She says "I didn't remember your name". I tease her a little for not remembering my name and then tell her before I got married my name was much shorter and easier to remember. She get's this horrified look on her face and announces "I don't ever want to get married!" then quietly out of the side of her mouth to her friend sitting next to her she whispers "you have to do that gross thing if you get married.." The friend gives an embarrassed, knowing look and says "I know what you're talking about."

I try to keep my composure and steer us back to math when the friend looks at me and a look of comprehension slowly dawns as she blurts out "are YOU married?" I say that I am and they burst into titters. Then the first girl wants clarification if I have ever done "that gross thing"and asks "do you have any kids?" When I answer that I do have children, in fact I have 5, they can hardly contain themselves.

I desperately try to steer us back to math but they are both horrified and fascinated at the facts now swirling in their brains about what they now know about me..

Oh my....

I believe I blushed.


10 comments:

Emily said...

So, you've done it 5 times? Gross.

(Still laughing)

Karla said...

Oh that is too funny! I have one of those 4th graders and I was just thinking the other day maybe a talk might be appropriate on maturing bodies... as she will be doing that soon. That is just too funny!

Wendy said...

LOL!! That is HILARIOUS!

Oh my goodness. We need to get together so we can laugh in person. :)

Party of Five said...

Oh that is too funny- the conversations you have with school-age kids!

Maursupial said...

I know. I heard this story when you were at Mom and Dad's and yet I still laughed today when I read it again.

Shelly A said...

Thanks for making me laugh today. :)

Sharla said...

tee hee hee. love it.

Christy said...

Hilarious!!!!! I don't know how you can face those girls now that they know you are MARRIED!!!!!

Judy said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA! You made me laugh out loud, along with everyone else.

You have to (get to) do that thing ... you know ... ? Gross. Wish I were remarried ... I have a vague memory ... "sigh."

Jennifer said...

I have a 4th grader. Does that mean he "knows" what married people do? I don't know if I can look at him in the face. I better tell him to stay away from know it all 4th grade girls!