My little girl is home!!!! When we got home from Girl's camp last Saturday, my Mom & Dad were here waiting to pick up Rachel. They had been to Wyoming to visit my amazing 99 yr old grandma. They were planning on taking our cutie pie back to Southern Utah with them to spend a few days with my Brother Matthew's family. Rachel jumped in the shower and I quickly unpacked her suitcase with my mom, threw the stinky campfire smokey clothes in the hamper, counted out clean undies and socks and things I thought she might need and she finished packing after getting cleaned up. She left with my parents about 30 minutes after we arrived home. whew! It was a bit of a whirlwind.
This was her first time going somewhere alone. She is usually accompanied by Carly on her trips away from home. She admitted Saturday night was pretty lonely and sad for her, even surrounded by Uncle Matthew, Auntie Em and 3 adorable cousins. She made it through that first night and had so much fun from that point on, sadness was not a problem.
Matthew called Sunday night to declare that the Bocanegra girls were continuing to impress the young men of TQ. Apparently a couple boys commented on her cuteness factor to Matthew. I heard it 3rd hand: Matthew to Mark, Mark to me so give me the direct quote in your comments Matthew. What did they say?
Last Summer Carly picked up a couple of admirers: a bagger at the grocery store who flirted (she was so unaware he was flirting...) with her til he found out she was only THIRTEEN, Mr. Flex from church who just happened to find them swimming at the creek and stood around flexing as much as possible just in case Carly looked his way, anyone else Matthew?
I like these long distance admirers. I can feel good about my girls feeling good about themselves and yet, the admirers are so far away, I don't have to worry one little bit about it getting out of hand.
Matthew and Emily kept Rachel busy doing the things she likes best. Taking pictures. Hiking. watching animals. Splashing in water. They spent time on 3 different days at Zions. Here are some pictures from her fun days.


Rachel and Auntie Em ( I know! they look more like sisters....)

She had a blast catching tree frogs. She said they do leave your hands a bit slimy but it's totally worth the slime!!!! Hmmmm..slime... might have to agree to disagree.
Emily taught her how to use her fancy camera and she took this picture herself. I thought it was a really beautiful picture. She said this deer was about 10 feet away and very unconcerned about their nearby presence.
With Rachel there always has to be something that just wouldn't happen to anybody else. Here's her moment. She told me one of the times they were driving to Zions she saw a large field just outside the
Park. She saw some funny looking cows.
"Wow! those are some weird cows" she thought. "I wonder why they look like that. Hey, they only have 2 legs and they're awfully skinny. Hey. Those aren't cows at all! They're ostriches!!!!!! Huh. ostriches. cool."
This is my girl who once sang "Hosea, can you see by the dawn's early light" and "Swing Low, sweet cherry nuts" and last but not least Keith Urban's famous "I got my rubber jeans on".



5 comments:
I have to tell you Jamie, what a pleasure it was to have Rachel in our home. She is such a sweet, earnest, adventurous young woman. On our way back from wading in the Narrows, she stopped before stepping back into the rapids she'd just come up and asked me if I'd like to go through the rapids & offered to walk with little Catherine in the shallow water. I declined, but I thought it was so thoughtful of her to offer.
Rachel, we miss you already!
Oh, & we really like that our neighbor boys like our nieces too. It gives Matthew a little more power as their scoutmaster. As in, quit being such goofballs or you'll lose any chance of being set up with my nieces. ;) There may not be any chance of that anyway, but the boys don't need to know that!
I'm so happy for Rachel that she got to go and spend time with Matthew and Emily. Those pictures are wonderful and it sounds like everyone had a great time.
I'm so glad she had such a good time! I'll have to tell you in person about my cows-in-the-field story. Ostriches--that's hilarious!
I'm sorry it has taken me this long to respond.
This is what happened: The Sunday that Rachel was here, the Deacons made comments like, "Brother Lowe, your niece is cute." and the casual, "Brother Lowe, how long is your niece going to be in Toquerville?" and upon hearing that she would only be here a few days, "You mean she isn't moving here?"
Emily is telling the truth. I am much more powerful a leader of deacons with these two nieces.
With Carly, the Deacons went wild as well. (Those boys are all Teachers now.) In fact about two months after Carly went home I made a comment to someone about my niece. One of the boys in my scout troop says (with hand on heart and eyes turned wistfully to heaven), "Oh, we remember Carly."
Mom, you got the wording wrong. This is what I said.
(thought) was (i'll quote it best I can) "Oh gosh those are some sad cows out there. Ahh, that one has three legs! Oh my! Now that is a sad deformed cow. !" at that point one of the legs started bumping up and down. I was curious and kept watching. "What the? what in the world...uh...it has feathers? Um, uh...oh! it's not a cow at all! Its an ostrich! An ostrich? UM...yea... an ostrich. That's not some thing you see everyday."
Post a Comment