1. Cleaning out freezer, Tossing what needed to be tossed.
2. wiping down freezer, garage floor and cleaning up the water that seemed to continue to pool at the bottom of the freezer and the garage floor for hours.
3. Putting back what was still frozen.
4. Driving 2 thawed chickens to my friend who has some things in the freezer. I showed up on her doorstep at 8am and asked "Have you thought about what you're going to cook for dinner? How about chicken!"
5. cooking what had thawed completely but was still refrigerator cold: 2 Turkey breasts, 11 lbs of hamburger & about 20 boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
6. packaging up cooked hamburger for freezer. Shredding chicken breasts and packaging them in recipe sized portions for freezer. Taking all meat off turkey breast bones and shredding/packaging for freezer.
Anyway... back to the peaches.
Mason opened the back door of the garage and in his exuberant excitement bellowed at the top of his lungs to whomever might be within hearing distance "Hey everybody!!!!!! We Got Popsicles!!!!!!!!!" There was no one in sight but I suppose his excitement was such that it needed to be shared just in case someone might listen and be able to share in his happiness. awww.... Needless to say, he gets a popsicle this morning. Right now, in fact, just as soon as I'm done typing which he says is taking TOO long!
9 comments:
James-- I tried to deal with some peaches the other day. Someone gave us a few buckets full from the gleaning at the Stake farm.
I thought that Em and I would can freeze and make jam... I ended up throwing about 1/3 away after I waited too long; one day they are all looking good, and the very next day black fungus is covering the whole bottom layer and the peaches have turned to mush.
I just cut-up and froze the rest for smoothies. Maybe next year I'll make some Lowe Quality Sploosh.
yes, they can go bad fast which is why I've been working every night to do something with mine. Even then I have to cut away spots on a lot of them. I am now left with 13 peaches in a bowl which I thought we'd just eat. (Rachel can put away 3-4 in less than 5 minutes if she's so inclined. Mason and I tried the yogurt peach popsicles. mmmmmm.. The peaches may go towards more of those.
So, what's the secret recipe for your yogurt peach popsicles?
It's pretty complicated. You start with a magic bullet... in it you place as many peach halves as look good to you. I think I averaged 2-3, sprinkle with a couple tablespoons of sugar or if you want to sound all healthy you could "drizzle them with honey" as the recipe suggested but I have no time for drizzling. fill the rest of the magic bullet up with vanilla yogurt and puree. pour into molds and freeze. I think the recipe actually called for something like 1/2 C chopped peaches, 2/3 C yogurt and 1/3 C pureed peaches and of course a drizzle of honey. Each bullet filled 4 popsicle molds w/ a little left over to sample. mmmmm
He is so cute!!
What in the heck is a magic bullet?
Ahhhh.... The magic bullet. A whole story in itself. It's a little counter top blender thingy. You mean you HAVE NOT seen the informercial???? shocking!!!! It has 2 sizes of containers that fit on it and you fill the cups and snap on the blender lid and put it on the base, push down, presto, it's blended. I use it for scrambled eggs and smoothies. It does NOT grate cheese as it claims. Turns it into a mishapen crumbled lump, does not chop onion effectively as it claims. Turns to onion pulp and onion juice. It is, however, GREAT for smoothies and scrambled eggs and now... Peach popsicles!!!
Gah! I didn't realize you had the freezer-left-open experience this summer, too. We ended up having to have Terry Goodrich come and fix ours because it was NOT happy about having been left open all night, and now I am freezer paranoid. I seriously check it every single night before I go to bed! BUT it is SO nice to have all that prepared hamburger & chicken when you need it!
you know.. it has been nice. I never thought I liked cooked & then frozen hamburger but I have used it spaghetti sauce and hamburger helper "crunchy taco" and for sloppy joes and it's been fine. I just might do it on a regular basis. I think we need to get a freezer alarm. I found it ajar one of the nights I was putting peach stuff in the freezer. Rachel had been helping me get things out for dinner that night and I think she might have not shut it tight. I caught it within a couple hours so it was fine but yeah... that was not fun!
The Bocanegra kids enthusiasm for popsicles can not be explained...it must be witnessed. Jamie, you are AMAZING!!!
Post a Comment