Sunday, August 24, 2008

An unexpected visit





This is my niece Keilani.  We got an unexpected phone call a couple weeks ago.  Auntie Jamie....
I'm in Orem and I wondered if I could come visit you tonight.  Of course!!!!  She lives in Hawaii so it was quite a surprise to have her close by.  At home she works as a dancer at the Polynesian cultural center.  She does Hawaiian dance and Tahitian dance.  She's very good.  She often earns extra money dancing at weddings and parties.   She just graduated from High school and is off to college soon on a track and academic scholarship.  A Relative got her a standby plane ticket at low cost when she had an opportunity to come to Utah and earn some $$ dancing in late July.  It was supposed to just be a couple of days.  For several days the flights were really full and her quick trip became an extended one.  

She was staying with some relatives on her Dad's side but she came to our house 3 days in a row, eating dinner with us, playing games and just visiting.  And although we know she was a little stressed about getting back to Hawaii to work, to family, to her hunky boyfriend and to prepare to leave for college... we were secretly delighted in her postponed trip because it meant we had the chance to get to know her a little better and enjoy her beautiful smile and sweet personality.



Mark had just picked out UNO Attack at the store with the kids while I was in Las Vegas.  We hadn't played it yet so Kei helped us figure it out.  If you can't tell by the faces... It's fun.  


Another special thing that happened while she was here was that we were able to go with her to receive her patriarchal blessing.  She has had her recommend for 2 years and can't seem to get an appointment.  Her mom has left many many messages and hasn't been called back.  Life is a much slower pace on the islands. They have been very frustrated that she hasn't been able to get her blessing.  Kei mentioned it to Mark and he said we might be able to get it here if she liked so she could have it before heading off for college.  Her mom faxed her recommend over and Mark got her an appointment for Sunday afternoon on Saturday.  Bless our Patriarch, Brother Greenland for accommodating her. I know Laurie and Hank should have been with her and I know they wish they could have been but it was a special honor to stand in for them and be with our lovely niece.  Her blessing is beautiful and I know it will be a strength to her as she heads off to practice being a grown up.  

We Love you Kei.  Good Luck in Oregon.  Our door is always open to you! 

1 comment:

Maursupial said...

What fun! Kei is such a sweet girl. I loved meeting her a couple of years ago.