Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Bubble, Bubble, Toil & Trouble....


I am awake, out of my comfortable bed, at 11:24 p.m. simmering this on my stove......

I am tired. I am not even hungry. shocking... I know! What am I dong??? I am cooking socks. yes. Socks! I have spent a good portion of my day looking for orange knee-high socks. It was not very productive. I spent about an hour last Week looking at Shopko and K-mart. Nothing. I spent my whole morning today dragging Mason to every sporting goods store in town and all over the mall. NOTHING!!!!! who knew it would be this hard to find orange knee-high socks for Carly's "Velma" costume? I bought her knee-high brown socks but she wouldn't wear them. "I'll look dumb". She wouldn't wear her Velma costume to the ward party on Thursday night without the orange socks! She wore this costume---


Which was cute -but left me wondering why I had now been shopping for 2 different costumes for her this halloween season and she was not wearing EITHER one!
(okay... she is wearing the "velma" glasses and the "cape" I made for the witch.... but still!)

Tonight I went to walmart. Still no orange socks. I am done looking. These items are my last resort, Velma's last chance to shine this Halloween.

We'll see how it goes. It is now 11 minutes after midnight and the socks are off the stove and I rinsed one out and I'd like it to be darker so I'm going to bed and the socks will be soaking in the dye all night in my sink. I'll let you know how it turns out tomorrow. Oh and after relating this story to my sister Maury on the phone at Walmart, she reminded me I'm due for a little stubborn "I'm not wearing it without the orange socks" trouble from Carly. She has been the easiest kid in the world to raise! So that is why I'm here now....... tired mother.... trying to make her Velma dreams come true. ( oh and thanks Maury, for the advice on fabric dyeing & for suggesting the dye tonight. Mark also suggested it yesterday but I rolled my eyes thinking it wouldn't turn out and feeling sure if I just looked a little more I'd find what I was looking for. I should have listened Mark.)



Oh and here's a quick peek at most of the rest of us at the Ward Halloween party last Thursday. I don't know how I didn't get Jacob. I guess he never stood still long enough...
Here's Rachel.....
And Samantha.... not a very good picture but it was hard to get the little ones to stand still long enough to get a picture. They had other interests like eating diner, playing with their friends and playing the kid games set up by the activities committee. I'll get better ones on Halloween.
Mason found a very good use for his cowboy hat....

He'll always stand still if he sees the camera. He is a CheeZehead!
Can you tell what Mark is? (Fried egg) after getting everyone else ready, all I had time for was to throw on an apron and grab a spatula. Mark wasn't going to be able to come to the party because he had a scout training scheduled but was able to change it at the last minute so I rushed around Thursday morning before work trying to get all the supplies for his costume. The foam the magazine called for didn't exist at our fabric stores so I found a box big enough and cut it out and painted it. I bought a clear plastic bowl at the dollar store and yellow paint at the craft store and painted the bowl and then decided the costume looked better with a flatter paper plate so I painted that yellow. Mark did add a 2nd coat of yellow paint to the bowl when he stopped by the house while I was at work and he helped glue/tape the strap on. When we got to the party Mark looked at me and said (in all seriousness) "I think this is the easiest costume I've ever done." I just looked at him and replied, "I think you're right!"


12 comments:

Wendy said...

I dreamt about Velma costumes last night--weird!!

Julie said...

It seems like Haley was orange one year for soccer. I will look around to see if I have any orange socks. I havent seen any and her socks might have been black. Cute costumes! You are creative.

Aprilyn said...

I love all the costumes. Mason, the cheezer is darling. Marshall is quite a cheezy boy too. What's with them putting things up right by their face? Marshall does the same thing!

We are busy trying to get a wig to be the right color for Nathan to be Mad Eye Moody.

Maursupial said...

Good luck to you sister. Here's hoping that the socks are the orangiest ever.

Emily said...

Ah Jamie, what a good Momma. Carly will look so cute as Velma - I'm sure all your hard work will be worth it. For her at least! ;)

Hendrickson Clan said...

CUTE, CUTE, CUTE!

CaradonandtheBoys! said...

You know how I did those tie dye shirts for us? They also turned out a lot lighter orange than I had hoped for. Maybe its something about orange dye. But you guys all look great!!!

Christy said...

Rachel is too beautiful for words, Sammy is usually much cheezier, Mason is his usual cheese. Carly is hilarious and stubborn ( i do love that girl!) Love her costume!!!! Good luck with the stockings!

Mr Lowe said...

WHy was your Halloween party a week ago...seems odd to have it so far ahead of time...or is it just me?

Jamie said...

We have a new couple that have been called as activities committee chairpersons.
#1. They JUST had a new baby
#2. They didn't know about scheduling the building in time to get the date they wanted. oops. Learning curve but they told me now that they know they already have the building scheduled for the Christmas party.

Amy Sorensen said...

I thought of you just about an hour ago, standing at Target in front of a pair of orange knee highs!!! They were hiding in the very back of a rack of Christmas-colored knee-high socks. Just one lonely little pair. Seriously. I almost bought them for you! But I'm certain those dyed ones worked out great!!!!

Wendy said...

I love reading your blog. You are so dang funny.