Sunday, October 19, 2008

UEA Saturday A.K.A. Watching out for Dick Cheney...

Okay, Okay... I know technically it's probably not UEA saturday, it's just  saturday but I'm kind of running with a vacation theme here so humor me....

Saturday was to be a continuation of  funFUNfun  for me and the kids. (Mark was due home midafternoon)  We slept in (so nice) and watched cartoons and lazily got ready for our big plans which weren't til after lunch.  We were supposed to get together with our friends, The Leach family, to hike the Grotto Trail in Payson Canyon.  It's supposed to be a family friendly hike with a waterfall cascading into a little cave at the end.  Here's a picture I stole off some random blog. 

Wouldn't you like to go there?  and the leaves in the canyon would be beautiful.  A great plan!
That is until Adam said, "umm... there's one thing we may want to consider before heading up the canyon... It's opening weekend for deer season and there are kids as young as 10 or 12 with tags... "  That means kids with guns and I'm fresh out of bright orange hats and vests.  If our illustrious VP can have an accident with his years of experience hunting I didn't feel like taking a chance with my little family knowing there could be Deacons with guns on the mountain.  
So we went here instead.  Bridal Veil Falls.  Just a little ways up Provo Canyon, includes a waterfall and changing leaves.  AND the really big point in it's favor?  It's out of the way of deer hunters.   We played along the riverbank.  We took lots of pictures. We had a great time until.....












we decided to try the hike up to the base of the falls like we did last year.......  








We couldn't remember where the trail started and Carly and Rachel saw 2 steep looking paths and said we'll check these out and tell you if they connect to the trail.  I looked away for one moment and the boys are both scrambling up behind them and didn't come back when I yelled.  So Samantha and I started up after them. I figured I had better climb the treacherous slope with them so we could all fall together.  It was a little frightening at times because it was steep and there was a lot of loose rock that would slip under your feet.  We hit a dead end and had to climb down.  Samantha was very frightened although she held it together better than she did last year and that was on the right trail. By the time we got down none of us were in any mood to find the right trail and give it another go so no triumphant "we did it" pictures at the base of the falls this year.  Next year I am pretty sure we'll remember to walk a little further to find the REAL beginning of the trail.  

When we got home Mark was home.  Yea! I gave the boys haircuts.  We all took a shower and got cleaned up.  That night we watched "It's the great pumpkin Charlie Brown".  It was the first time for the kids and the first time in many years for Mark and I.  We told the kids how we would watch for the commercial telling us when it would be on and mark the calendar so we wouldn't miss it.  There was one chance a year and if you missed it, you missed it! They thought it was funny.  


Vacation day #3:     beautiful.  wet. colorful. scary.  fun.  Over.





9 comments:

Wendy said...

I love those pictures, Jamie. What a great day. I'm glad you had so much fun this vacation!

Wendy said...

Oh, and hilarious title, btw.

Anonymous said...

I have never hiked up there. It looks pretty and Marshall is a HUGE HUGE fan of waterfalls. Too big a fan actually. Hmm...maybe I should reconsider my idea of hiking up there. :) It looks like you guys had fun. I'm glad you didn't go near the Deacons with guns!! We kind of like Jacob and your family being in our Pack.

Aprilyn said...

Whoops. Wrong name. That was me. I just use Anita Nap for the Special Needs blog that I belong to. It's a place where I can explain how tough it is to raise a child like my dear little Marshall-man and nobody judges me or acts like I'm making it up because they have children with problems too. It's not easy but its' worth it.

Amy Sorensen said...

The Grotto hike is very family friendly---although WAY too short for my family. we did it earlier this fall. Haven't blogged about it because it wasn't a good day at ALL. BUT the falls were beautiful.

Julie said...

Wow! It looks like you had a lot of fun. Cute pictures too. And now it's time to find that maid now since it's a new week. Right? I have not found one yet. Oh wait we are maids right? We can do it all! Yeah right! I'm just going to close my eyes, count to 3 and wal lah, it's all clean. Ha Ha! I'm dying to take my kids on a hike. They really want to go. We should all go sometime. That would be fun!

Wendy said...

We'd love to go with you next time you attempt the Grotto.

Emily said...

Love your pictures Jamie! Thanks for taking such good care of us this weekend!

Mr. Hughes said...

Holy Moley! Your kids are getting SO big! Allisha and I were looking at the kids and I am freaking out. I remember them in a lt smaller form! How time flies. Looks like you had a blast. We miss ya!