Saturday, October 18, 2008

UEA begins....

We are having our UEA break from school. What is UEA? I'm not really sure. I believe it has something to do with The Utah teacher's union and their meetings. My sister wondered "why don't they plan these teacher meetings in June when there is no school?" hmmm.... Good question.

The kids were out of school Thursday, Friday and will be off Monday as well. When they have a school vacation we try to plan something fun to fill our time. There will be later posts about the fun but Thursday was NOT fun. It became *housecleaning day* and seemed to last an eternity.

Our house was in BAD shape. With our visitors over the weekend and Me going to the BYU game our saturday work did not get done.

I need to point out that Samantha was the first one done with her room. She was quick and thorough and made a point to remind me several times that day that in case I hadn't noticed... she was the good child... she had finished her room a LOOONG time ago.... didn't I like her better than all the other kids since she was so obedient?........

I confess, for a few hours, I did like her just a tiny bit better!

The big girls had a hole to dig out. Their room was in terrible shape and I was merciless. I want that desk cleaned off! I want this dresser more organized! I want that shopping bag that you want to keep, that I have seen on the floor for 6 months, somewhere I can't see it or it's going in the trash next time I walk in this door! etc...

The boys were just in fighting mode which makes them very unproductive. We always have to divide the room. That is a given. They are both responsible for a certain half. When that is done, Jacob has to clean out the closet and Mason has to pull everything out from under the bed and then they have to divide up whatever comes out of those deep, dark places to put away. Dividing the room was not enough Thursday to keep the bickering down so we resorted to our Divide & conquer method which involes each boy sitting on the steps while the other cleans in 1o minute increments. They keep switching until they get it done. That eventually worked.

I took Samantha to Target to exchange a shirt from Auntie Maury that was too small. I told her she could get the same shirt or another one if she found one she liked better. she looked at me with horror on her face and exclaimed, "I could never trade away the shirt that Auntie Maury picked out just for me!!! It's special!!!!! I will always think about her when I wear it." I felt like a terrible mommy for suggesting anything else. See Maury, she may act all unconcerned about her gifts in person but they do mean something to her deep down.

By the time we got home from Target the other children were miraculously finished with their rooms and Mark was home so we went to Macey's to get ice cream. For you locals... they have a new frozen yogurt machine besides the traditional chocolate/vanilla soft serve. They had strawberry and banana this week. I don't usually like artificial banana flavors but the deli clerk insisted it was very good and gave me a sample. It was. It was very subtle and so I got a strawberry/banana twist. It was yummy.

When we got home they finished their room chores and we were finally finished with *housecleaning Thursday*!!!!!!!! Mark had a friend coming over for the BYU game and I was headed to the temple with a friend. Both of us set aside the evening for worship. :)

If you follow football or love someone who does, you probably already know that Mark's evening ended very very very badly..... DANG TCU!!!!

Vacation day number one: Frustrating. exhausting. Over.

7 comments:

Julie said...

Isn't UEA a time to go on vacation with the kids? Whatever happened to that? It has turned into housecleaning and playing video games all day long without getting jobs done. What is a vacation? I really don't even know anymore. And why can't the house stayed cleaned just for 1 day. It's not possible unless you clean it and walk out the door with everyone and then go on vacation. I know how you feel Jamie. We need to figure out how to change things right?

Julie said...

I know, we need to get a maid 24 hours a day, maybe 2 or 3 of them. Ha Ha!

Aprilyn said...

I need to have housecleaning Thursday here too. I made the mistake of getting out the Marbleworks. Now I keep finding marbles all over my house. :D

Sorry to hear the beginning of UEA wasn't that great. Oh, I am pretty sure it stands for Utah Educator's Association. That's what I was always told anyway.

Brian and I spent the day at Cub Scout Leader Pow Wow and I thought of Jacob and all the other boys. I am rededicating myself to being a better leader!!

Maursupial said...

Oh, I'm so happy that Samantha actually liked the shirt I bought her. I really thought that she hated it. Samantha is such a complex little creature. I love that girl.

Amy Sorensen said...

Even having been a teacher, I'm not sure what actually happens at the UEA meetings. It's all very mysterious unless you are an actual DEDICATED teacher who goes to the meetings, but I think it's sort of a teacherly convention.

But, I do know the answer to this question: "why don't they plan these teacher meetings in June when there is no school?" Because then they'd have to pay teachers for two more days, and nobody wants to do that!!!

We cleaned house on Thursday, too.

It's already messy again.

We went to Disneyland a few years ago over UEA and learned that another meaning for it is Utahns Entering Anaheim. We saw people at Disneyland that we hadn't seen in decades!!!

Wendy said...

Well, Jaime. Thanks for hanging in there. You are still my model parent so don't give up or I'm going to be in trouble:)

Christy said...

I'm so excited to learn about the upgrades @ Macy's. Macy's is a fabulous place!