Really.
You'd be surprised at how little you're missing. They all dressed very much like they did on the first day of school. (okay... we all know who's trying to make who feel better about all this.)

Carly went Black "kinda skinny" jeans, beaded red tank over cream fitted "T" and black flats on the first day and continued her decidedly dressed up "I'm glad I'm a girl" look on day 2 with red flats, red earrings, black and white patterned smocked tank over white fitted "T" with black cardigan and cute jeans. Apparently her high school is FREEZING!
* you may be wondering what "kinda-skinny" jeans are. I just want to clarify. It's my terminology for jeans that are more fitted and a little stretchier than regular jeans. They are not skin tight. Some girls may consider her "kinda skinny's" a size or two too big but they are the skinniest jeans that will be allowed in this house.
She got a new haircut a week before school, courtesy of her new baysitting trade with Betsy . It's really cute and she loves it. A new backpack courtesy of Auntie Maury. She loves it. Thank you. She wouldn't have been caught dead with a pink backpack a couple of years ago but I reiterate, she is embracing the "I'm glad I'm a girl" perspective.

Goodbye Junior High.... Hello 10th grade, driver's training, cute boys.
(and a big Hello to a whole new set of anxieties for me!)

Our Rachel went casual both days with a green T and new jeans on day one and after being "hot all day" switched to cut-offs of last years jeans and a magenta T accented by purple flipflops and a great heart and lock necklace for day 2.
She's trying some new hairdo's. Last year she wasn't willing to try much but over the summer she's been experimenting with her "look". It's fun to see her branch out a little. I'm hoping she'll relax a little this year. 7th grade was quite stressful and found my little goddess of style, imagination & confidence lacking her usual vim and vigor.. I am hoping to see all 3 re-emerge.
Jacob is sporting pretty much the same look as day first. Only the colors are different. Long socks, Tennis shoes, shiny shorts (red) and Tshirt (blue). I though it interesting he wore his Geneva Elementary shirt on his first day at his new school. Was this a nod of nostalgia, a statement of "this is where I come from people!" or simply the T-shirt hanging first in the closet. We'll never know. He's a man of mystery.
As he left for his new school, Mason patted his shoulder and whispered "Be brave, Be strong, Be a Man!" He is brave and he is strong but he is just my boy and that's all he needs to be.
But he is ready for new friends, new ways to learn & new adventures.
5th grade here he comes!
There is something awfully funny about taking 2nd day of school pictures....
She can hardly contain herself.
Okay. That's better.
Samantha Grace wore a denim skirt yesterday and today, tennis shoes w/short white socks yesterday and today, pigtails yesterday and today, a Pink shirt yesterday and today. She must have wanted to ease my pain about missing pictures that first day. That's just how she rolls.
He wore last years jeans on day 1 and some NEW school pants today so we missed nothing important. And definitely; Cute as a button both days.
He was a little confused however. On day 1 he said "I'm going with Samantha early today but what time am I going tomorrow?" When I said he was going with Samantha early EVERY day, he seemed a little floored. I really thought I had explained it all very clearly. Apparerently the explanation was lacking some depth.
On Back To School night he was so excited to meet his teacher and see his new classroom. I worked in his teacher's class last year and she is wonderful. He zipped around his new class exclaiming "here's my desk!" "HEY! we have turtles!!!!" "Look at these books! and this chair" "This is so cool!!!" Then he noticed another boy checking out the classroom. He wasn't in his class last year but they probably saw each other at recess. They sized each other up and I don't know WHERE this came from but I looked over and they both had their hands on their hips, they were facing each other, chests thrown out, almost touching, and I hear my sweet little cuddly child say "you better watch out 'cuz I'm stronger and wilder than last year!"
speechless.
I was speechless.
His teacher and I exchanged a look and our hands flew up to our mouths to stifle giggles.
Watch out 1st grade. Here comes Mason!

11 comments:
Yay! Thanks for the pictures. It was nice to see the pink backpack being used and not shoved into a closet the minute I left. Your kids are too cute! I too miss our little fashion maven Rachel. It'll come....
See second day of school pictures work. I did that a few times, and it's all good. Great pictures by the way. You better watch out for Carly. The boys are going to be after her. Gosh! She has really grown up. I love your kids, they are amazing! Carly and Rachel make my job in YW so much better, more than they will ever know. Love ya
Great post. I had to tell all the Mason stories to Jeremy. So funny.
I loved the pictures and details of the first two days of school, Jamie. What a fantastic group of kids!!
Wow it's day four tomorrow- I better get mine done ha? Ah well they look the same right? Great pics! Kenny is excited that he gets to sit in front of Samantha!
Confession: I take a photo of Haley every day at the beginning of the school year, just so we can remember every new outfit! ;) The boys are like, ehh, whatever.
OK, I thought your last post was your best ever & then I read this gem! Jamie, you are an amazing mother & your kids are amazing, but today I just have to say that I love your writing!
P.S. Carly, your shoes are the cutest I've ever seen. Can I go shopping with you?
em: payless $10 check their clearance shoes. :)
Well, I only had one kid to take pictures of on the first day. I did get the pictures taken, but just barely got them posted to my blog!! I'm a little behind...
Nate got Mr. Truesdell this year, and while he is VERY happy about it, I think he misses Jacob. He rides to school alone every day. Jacob is a good friend to Nate. Good thing we still know where you live...hehehe.
Those kid comments had me laughing out loud!
Post a Comment